Chapter Thirty-four

I stepped into Yinka's room, pulling my braids into a bun. Yinka looked up from his phone and turned his head following my movements as I walked further into the room. The camera and ring light was all set up and ready to be used. He was seated at the side of his bed, the curtains behind his dressing table were pulled back for more light.

"Finally," he said

"What?" I said, tapping my bun to make sure it was well secure. "You know I had to freshen up before coming back. It was not going to take a second" I took off my backpack and placed on the floor by the foot of the bed.

He studied my appearance for a while. "Did you put on makeup?"

"No, just lip gloss. Why?" I said, instinctively touching my face

He shook his head and shrugged his shoulders. "No reason. Just thought you did."

"I didn't" I said and moved to sit beside him.

"Hmm," he nodded and then leaned forward to turn on the camera.

I glanced at our reflection through the camera and adjusted my grey t-shirt then tugged on the top of my jeans.

"Okay..." he started out but then turned to pick up his ringing phone from beside him.

I was able to catch the Prisca's name on the phone screen as he swiped to accept before bringing it to his ear.

"Hey what's up?" he said

I was about to make out what was been said on the other end, it was all muffled. His eyebrows went from elevated to being creased.

"Wait, that was today?" he said. "Damn... I'm so sorry. I completely forgot" he ran his head over his wavy hair down to his face.

Was he supposed to head out now?

There was another minute of silence as he listened to what was being said on the other end of the phone.

"I'm not going to be able to come. I actually have something planned right now and I don't know when I'll be done" he said and looked at me.

"We can reschedule" I mouthed to him.

He shook his head vigorously and spoke into the phone. "Yeah. Probably some other time. I'll make it up to you guys, I promise"

Another minute of silence.

"Hey, what's up man? Yeah, I'm sorry. It completely skipped my mind, bro" he said

It seems like he had some kind of engagement planned with his friends for today. I didn't want to be the reason he didn't meet up with his friends so I tapped on his hand that rested on the bed and mouthed that he could go. Again, he shook his head at me and continue to speak into the phone.

What he did next took me by surprise. As he spoke, he held my hand and intertwined our fingers. I glanced at our interlocked hands with raised brows and slightly widened eyes. He didn't seem to notice what he had done because threw his head back laughing at whatever was being said to him.

I'm not sure if I was the only one who felt this way but I wasn't comfortable holding people's hands, even my friends. It just always felt way too intimate and weird for me especially if it was the first time occurring with said person. I always avoided handshakes with people because of this feeling. I would rather fist-bump people upon introduction.

Do I pull my hand away? If I pull it away too abruptly then he'd notice and then things could get awkward. Do I just leave them interlocked and wait to see if he'd pull back?

My mind was going into overdrive. Why was I overthinking holding of hands? God, I'm so weird. Just as I was losing my mind, he mindlessly let go of my mind and I released a sigh of relief. My relief although satisfying was short-lived because his hand returned but this time he just mindlessly caressed the back of my palm.