Chapter Fifty-three

After a long tiring week of exams, I was so close to freedom that was until the dawn of a new semester. I wasn't quite done with my exams, I had one last paper that fell into the next week. It wasn't a particularly hard course in my opinion, so it felt like my relaxation had already begun.

In the meantime, while I battled in the examination halls, my share of the work was re-assigned to the other girls temporarily. It felt really nice to go straight home from school and jump right into bed, not having to worry about work and its entirety. It was a much needed and appreciated unofficial break.

The break had to come to an end eventually which was why I decided to turn up at work early on Saturday. Saturdays always come with more cleaning and dusting due to the methodical approach we took and I wasn't comfortable leaving my duties for the girls.

I slung my small purse strap across my body and settled it down nicely across my shoulder. I pulled out the tail of my cornrows extensions from under the strap of my purse. I began to rummage through my purse, making sure I wasn't leaving anything behind.

I had a stack of Yinka's clothes in the washing machine and once that batch was over, my work would be completed for the day. I came down to the worker's quarter to change out of my uniform, wash up and pick up my things. I planned to head straight home from Yinka's room after dropping off his freshly washed laundry.

Peace walked into the room while I went through the motions of gathering pieces of my belongings that weren't in my purse.

"Are you going already?"

"Yeah, something like that" I answered, running my hand across Bisola's bed.

"That was fast"

My finger lightly came across a hard object nestled underneath her pillows. It turned out to be my phone, I dropped it into my purse and turned around to face Peace. I lifted my eyebrow at her, indicating she drop a bit of context to her statement.

"You know, I handled Yinka's room when you were busy with exams" she started

I noticed that she always called Yinka by his name whenever she talked amongst us girls but never referred to him personally with his name.

"Yeah. Thank you, again" I said

"He actually told me not to handle his laundry the next day I went to take care of his room. He said he preferred the way you did it" she shrugged her shoulder. "I mean less work for me. Anyways, that's why I was wondering how you were done so fast. I assumed you'd have so much to wash"

"Oh..." I nodded slowly. I wasn't entirely sure why I needed all this information or what my response should be. "I'm actually finishing up with the last batch of clothes. I'd stop by the house before I begin dey go my house"

"I for fear. Okay, now" she said and walked over to Mary's bed.

"Yeah, bye" I took that as my cue to leave.

I didn't feel the least bit flattered about anything she told me, if anything, he just compiled work that I thought I'd escaped till I returned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I folded the last article of clothing and placed it neatly into Yinka's wardrobe. I exhaled softly and shut the wardrobe door. I glanced around the room to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Nothing looked out of place so I headed for the door.

I reached for the door handle just for it to be pulled down. I stepped back in time for the door to come whipping open and missing my frame by an inch and a half. Yinka had one hand out from pushing the door open and the other, dusting off the base of his neck. He had on a black on blacktop and jogger combo, paired up with a white bomber jacket and matching sneakers. Most importantly, he had on a new haircut.