Chapter Twenty-five

Emeka released a deep, satisfied sigh as he dropped his empty plate on the floor, just beside his feet. Uju on the other hand was still slowly feasting on her plate of Eba and Ogbonno soup. After our classes, they both tailed along to eat their dinner at my place after hearing that I'd cooked the night before.

There was no electrical power in the house, the curtains were all gathered into a bunch and shoved in between one of the burglary proof rods for proper ventilation. The sun was slowly setting, casting an orange hue through the open windows and into the room.

"100 yards wife material," Emeka said after downing his cold sachet water

"Naso" I replied, twitching the muscles around my nose. "Sha wash your plate. That's my own"

"I'll wash it. You too dey worry" he said, leaning back on Oluchi's bed till his back rested completely on the wall. 

"Ehen, that cake still dey?" he asked. (Is there still cake?)

"Which cake? Cake wey I don distribute" I replied, re-adjusting the pillow under my head.

"Nawa oo" he sighed, crossing his arms against his swollen belly

"My fridge is small now. The cake will just take up space and I need that space for food" I replied. "Besides, there wasn't much left after the party"

"Speaking of the party, how far that your boss now?" Emeka said, leaning forward

"Wetin happen to am?" I replied, narrowing my eyes at him. (What happened to him?)

"E fit get beta client o." Emeka responded. "You fit run am for me now" (He could have good clients. You can help me organize it)

"I fit run wetin? I'm lost" I replied, my eyebrows sinking into a frown. (I can help you organize what?)

"Abeg na. He suppose get some old white people wey we go fit see like one or two things for their hand" Emeka said

I searched his face for any trace of un-seriousness or laughter because I couldn't believe what was proceeding out of his mouth. He looked convincingly serious.

I sat up. "Wait, why do you think he would have 'clients' for you?"

"It's obvious now. His accent alone shows that he stays abroad. E dey try use small naija broken but the accent still dey come out" Emeka said

"Ehenn. Emesco plc, so you don start yahoo?" Uju piped in. (So you've started scamming?)

He leaned back into the wall. "No be say I don start, I just dey reason am. With the way this country take dey, omo na Yahoo be the fastest way to cash out now o"

He turned to me. "That's why I dey ask Neye make she run am for me. If I just do one or two, I go comot and use the money to start something tangible"

"Na for that one or two, dem go take catch you," Uju said, dropping her empty plate on my reading table where she was sat. "Anyways, I'm ready to carry food flask to your cell"

"Na you dem go visit with food flask, ode" Emeka retorted.

"Na una sabi" I said, picking up my phone from beside me. (That's your business)

"Neye now? How you see am?" Emeka probed. (What's your take?)

"Bia, biko hapu'm aka" I said, placing my phone back down, "In fact, come and be going. Shey you said you were going to see a friend right? Oya. Oya, be going" (Come, please leave me alone)

"It's even true sef" he said, shuffling out of the bed and to his feet.

Just before he opened the door to leave, he turned back to me. "We'll talk later"