Chapter Five

I turned on my mobile data with my left hand while brushing my teeth with the other. My WhatsApp notifications popped up on the screen along with the chiming sound that went along with it.

There were a few messages from the various group chats I was in and a message from Uju, one of my close friends. I opened her chat and saw a voice note she had sent at 12:43pm in the midnight then a YouTube video link below the voice note.

Babes, I was watching videos on YouTube and I stumbled upon a video of a girl dancing in her room ... I swear, she looks like you. I'm not even joking right now, I could even mistake her for you. Anyways, I'll send you the link if you think I'm lying. Just skip to the ending of the video.

I closed up the chat making a mental note to check the video later. It was too early to start watching YouTube videos besides I had to get to work in an hour thirty minutes. 

I stepped out of our room with my black and white stripped towel wrapped firmly around my chest and my purple shower cap protecting my braids and headed into the bathroom which was at the end of the corridor. You could see the immediate external surrounding once out of the room and on the corridor although there was a large burglary proof constructed to protect us from being assaulted.

It was pitch black outside and the surrounding was completely quiet with the exception of the chirping sound made by the crickets in the grass. Twelve minutes later, I stepped out of the bathroom all cleaned up and ready for the day.

My sister's phone alarm was ringing when I got into the room but she was still sound asleep. I loosened the towel around my frame and used it to wipe the water droplets on my body.

"Oluchi" I called out but there was no response.

I moved closer to the edge of her bed and tapped her legs. "Oluchi"

"Hmm" she murmured in response
"Wake up joor you're alarm is ringing" I said as I moved to grab my Nivea body lotion in the wardrobe positioned at the head of her bed.

She didn't make any attempts to turn off her alarm. It was obvious she had dozed off again.

"Oluchi!!" I called out again.

"Mmm... Yes" she jerked slightly and turned to look at me.

"Your alarm is ringing" I pointed to her phone. "I don't know why you even bother setting the alarm when you won't wake up if it rings"

She stretched out and turned the alarm off and then settled back to sleep.

"You want to go back to sleep, nawa for you oo" I stated as I put on my deodorant roll-on.

I decided to go for a casual look today; a white camisole, fitted blue jeans trouser paired up with a transparent black silk kimono jacket. The jacket was long sleeved and flowed down to the rim of my jeans trouser.

I did my everyday 5 minutes light make-up that involved a swab on mascara on my lashes, light dabbing of brown powder that matched my skin tone on my face and a touch of lip gloss which I smacked around my lips then used my pinky to wipe any excess lip gloss that might have smeared.

I had thirty minutes to leave my apartment seeing as I had to take a keke and two buses before I got to the Coker's house. I gobbled up a few slices of bread and pushed it down with a gulp of the tea I made before abandoning it.

"Oluchi" i called out as I picked up my handbag. "This kain sleep ehn, I don't even understand". (This type of sleep)

I grabbed a pair of black sandals from our shoe rack at the foot of my bed.
"Oluchi!"