Chapter Forty-two

Yinka's POV

It was now 3 pm in the afternoon and Neye hadn't shown up for work. As much as I tried to keep myself from checking the time, my eyes would unconsciously travel to the bottom of my laptop screen as I edited videos. I didn't want to seem too all up in her business so I had laid off on calling or texting her; I was trying to prove to myself that I could be nonchalant towards her. I had also been trying to maintain some space between us after the unsuccessful kiss, just so things didn't get weird between us.

The next day after the 'curved kiss' incident, she showed up to work with her usual attitude as if nothing happened and I decided to ride along with that. As someone who didn't appreciate confrontations or addressing situations, it was the ideal response to the situation.

The later it got without her showing up, the more my curiosity grew. I gave up on the laid back attitude and tried calling her three times, giving a five minutes interval between each call. With no success, I began to grow impatient and slightly worried, which was why I was currently on my way to the kitchen.

I popped my head in, from the side of the door frame. Mrs. Abigail was hovering over a steaming hot pot, stirring its content. Perfect. Just the person I wanted to see.

I straightened up and casually strolled into the kitchen. She didn't notice my presence at first so I walked over to the fridge, pulled it open and took a bottle of water. When I turned around, she was looking in my direction.

"Good afternoon, aunty," I said, unscrewing the cap.

"Afternoon, my dear" she replied with a soft smile and turned back to her pot

I took a sip out of the bottle that I didn't want in the first place.

"So uhm, is Neye not coming today?" I asked, trying to hold a nonchalant tone

"Oh yes. She called to tell me something came up" She said, covering the lid of the pot and turning to me. "Any problems?"

"Oh no, no"

"Are you sure? I can call one of the other girls if you—"

"It's not necessary. Don't worry" I said, waving my hands to her

"If you say so," she said and turned back to her pot

I wanted to ask her what Neye said had come up so badly but decided against it. I wouldn't want Mrs. Abigail speculating anything that wasn't happening, at least not yet. She was one smart woman and you couldn't keep things past her.

She turned back around and cocked an eyebrow at me. "Do you need anything?" Without awaiting my response, she gestured at the steaming pot. "This would soon be ready if you're hungry"

"Oh no, I'm fine. I had a late breakfast, thank you" I said, giving her a soft smile and then, lifted my bottle to her. "Just came to get this"

With that, I walked out of the kitchen and back to my room. I flung the bottle of water on my bed and settled down at the edge of my bed, releasing a weak sigh. I placed my palms behind me and threw my head back with my eyes closed and remained in that position until I heard the soft ping of a new WhatsApp message.

I fell back onto my bed and with a swift turn, I reached for the phone that was lodged behind my pillows. I picked up the phone and much to my dismay, it was my mom sending me one of those broadcast WhatsApp messages.

I kissed my teeth and dropped my phone beside me then glanced up at the ceiling. An involuntary snort of laughter escaped my lips which grew into a full-blown one. I couldn't believe myself right now.

Another soft ping filled the air shortly after and I found myself reaching for the phone again. I caught myself midway and dropped my hand down, willing myself to ignore it. Another ping accompanied the first one shortly after, I shut my eyes tightly and chuckled to myself.