Chapter Fifty-one

Determination and strength. Those were the two words that kept floating around in my head as I approached Mr. and Mrs. Coker's room. Knowing that Yinka was a few feet away from me made those circulate even more in my mind.

I decided to start out with his parent's room and leave his room for last. I needed a little time to get my act together. I learnt yesterday that when it came to Yinka, I was soft and every little ill word or treatment hurt more than necessary—I needed to put on an armour to deal with him.

Mr. and Mrs. Coker weren't around so I didn't bother knocking as I strolled into the room. True to my assumption, it was indeed empty. I wasted no time in delving into my work; taking out their dirty laundry and stuffing them into the washing machine. Changing their sheets into new ones – Mrs. Coker had sensitive and so demanded that her sheets were changed every five or six days. The usual sweeping and dusting of furniture followed after.

I was rounding up my cleaning in their bathroom, when a deep, gruff voice emanated from the bedroom. I peeped through the ajar bathroom door to see Mr. Coker fling his suit jacket on the freshly made bed.

He wasn't supposed to be back at this time.

He had his phone pressed into his ear and busied himself with freeing his neck from his tie. I moved to announce my presence before I received an unwanted strip show from Yinka's father.

I had my hand on the handle about to pull it open when the conversation on the phone made me halt.

"I told you that I wouldn't be able to come and see you," he said in a hushed tone

I stayed put and waited for him to go on before I decided whether or not, it was safe for me to reveal my presence.

"What do you want me to do? Leave my wife and fly to Abuja? And for what?" he said, flaying his hand in the air.

Slowly but surely, I backed away from the bathroom door with my hand clasped over my mouth. This wasn't what I'd like to be hearing. I was at the right place at the wrong time and the consequences of being found would be grave.

All of a sudden, my breathing sounded too loud for my liking and so I willed myself to take slow breaths, all the while maintaining my hand's position over my mouth.

God, what kind of stress is this/

"Just manage. Shey, I've sent you the money for the bo-bone, what did you call it again?" short silence. "Eh-en, bone straight. Haven't you received it?"

Mad oo, so one girl is using this old man to do sugar daddy.

"Look, if something pops up and I need to come to Abuja, I'll let you know" his voice sounded a lot louder and closer than before.

"Mm... Let me take a shower and relax. I'll take a look at the message later... yeah"

Let him take a what? My eyes widened at that statement. Please, God, don't do me like this.

My heart thundered against my rib cage as I heard his footsteps draw closer to the bathroom door.

What do I do? I panicked as I frantically searched for a solution. There was no way this man would believe I didn't overhear his conversation.

He chuckled. 'That's my girl... Just give me some minutes, I'll take a look at the video"

Jesus Christ... Can this man stop saying more implicative things?

The door handle jiggled and turned. I could feel my eyes almost popping out of my socket as I backed further away. My hands fell to my side and I felt something hard rub against my fingers.