Chapter Forty-four

"I feel like going to Dominos. I'm craving pizza badly" Tope sighed dramatically as she leaned back against her seat. "Let's all go now, please"

"I can't, sorry" Emeka piped up, standing to his feet. He swung his bag across his shoulder and adjusted his shirt. "I have a few things to do. I'll see you guys later tho" he added before briskly walking out of the nearly empty hall

"Guy, chill" Felix called after him, jogging after him to catch up. "I'm coming back" he threw over his shoulder to his girlfriend and host of the impromptu outing.

There was a brief silence after both guys walked out of the hall. Uju hit her palm against the table lightly, drawing attention to her.

"You know me, I'm always down for this kain thing" she pulled out her phone from her back pocket. "Let me ask bae if he's interested so we'll all go together"

"Me too" Feyi added then turned to me. "Neye, you're coming right? I don't want to be the fifth wheel" she pouted and blinked at me repeatedly.

"Sure" I chuckled

"Great" Tope clasped her hands together in one loud smack

"Once Felix comes back, we'll leave" Tope announced. "Are we waiting for 'bae' as well?" She asked Uju.

Uju eyed Tope playfully. "No, he says he'll meet us there"

"Okay" Tope nodded.

We settled back into a comfortable silence, all engrossed in their phones except me. Ever since, Emeka confessed his feelings to me, that was all I thought of. Even though I didn't want to, especially when I was in the school environment.

He promised to give me space and that, did he do. For the past five days, he made it a point of duty to leave the group as soon as lectures were over. I think he did that in order not to make me uncomfortable. Or maybe, he was the one uncomfortable, I had no idea.

I hadn't mentioned it to the girls because I wasn't sure I wanted to. I also thought if I was going to reject him, it would be so nice to do that without any of our other friends knowing. It would be less embarrassing for either of us.

But right now, I needed to voice out because my thoughts were drowning me. I needed other inputs made on the matter.

"Emeka likes me" I blurted out. There was no need to beat around the bush. Ripping the band-aid right off was gradually becoming my forte.

I watched their reactions cautiously. Uju's finger froze over her phone screen for a second while Tope and Feyi looked up at me almost immediately.

"Wait, wait. I don't understand" Uju spoke up, adjusting in her seat and leaning forward, eager for the incoming gist.

"He likes you?" Tope repeated

"Yes" I slowly nodded

"When did this happen? Did he tell you that he liked you with his own mouth? When did he t--" Uju rushed out with a grin spread over her lips.

"Abeg, you calm down jare" Tope shot at her. "Gist monger" she added, rolling her eyes.

"What?" Uju replied defensively then hissed and turned back to me. "Tell us now"

I scoffed at her overly excited state before calmly recounting the events of the said day of confession.

"No wonder" Uju drawled out, nodding her head subtly yet repeatedly as if she just unlocked some cryptic message. "I noticed he was distancing his self but I didn't think much of it. Ehen... It makes more sense now. I just knew that the Emeka I know can never reject a 'chop life' outing"