Chapter Sixty

Yinka turned the living room lights on and the room came alive. The room was spacious with a small brown leather sofa placed by the wall. A small plasma TV, a dining set for two at the centre of the room and a split unit air conditioner opposite my standpoint. There were red rose petals scarcely scattered around the room and more concentrated around the dining set.

The walls of the room were lined with a beautifully patterned Ankara fabric, even the curtains were matching. It seemed like the resort was trying to infuse the African/Nigerian culture vibe into their business.

"This is nice, a little empty but nice" I commented

"Yeah," Yinka looked around like he was just taking notice of the surrounding. "It was actually meant to be a second room. I think it had a bunk bed somewhere there" he pointed to an empty space by the wall which was now occupied by a curtain of LED lights. "I had them take it out and rearrange"

"Oh" I mouthed and nodded

He placed his hand on the low end of my back, dangerously close to my waistline and gestured towards the dining set. "Let's eat before it gets cold"

I clapped my hands together in anticipation and excitement. The hunger set in just as he made of food. "What are we having?"

"I honestly don't know. Just told them to bring in their evening special" he pulled out a chair for me before pulling the other chair over to my side so we could seat closely.

I peered into the silverware dish bowls as I turned the lids over. The first dish, I recognized to be Amala but I wasn't really sure about the steaming hot soup. It was a bright green colour with what I guessed to be stew, surrounding it.

"Is this Ewedu?" I glanced at him as I leaned forward to inspect the soup.

"Yeah. Do you like it?" he asked warily.

"I don't know, I've never tried it before. I just guessed it because of the Amala" I said as I picked up the serving spoons and began to dish out considerable amounts unto our plates.

Yinka watched intently as I had the first taste of the soup and I couldn't help but laugh.

"You don't like it?"

'No, I do. It's nice" I replied with my hand over my occupied mouth. "I'm not picky with food"

"Good" he genuinely smiled and began to eat. "Cause, this is one of my favourite foods"

"Yeah, you told me," I said, dipping a small piece of Amala into the soup.

"I did?"

"Yeah. It was one of those times when we would just chat" I said, right before swallowing. "That was like when we were getting to know each other"

"Oh yeah," he nodded. "Those times were chill"

"Mm-hmm"

The conversation seized so we could actually enjoy the meal and I was really enjoying myself. With no source of entertainment taking my attention, I settled on admiring my surroundings. The effort Yinka made to make this ordeal special was deeply appreciated.

"So what did you think about this whole idea?" Yinka piped up halfway through the food. "Did you expect it?"

"Yes and no" I leaned back against my seat.

His eyebrows shot up with inquisition

I chuckled. "So, when you suggested we go out, I had a gut feeling that this was it. And then we got to the uhm—what's it called?"

"Lekki conservation centre"

"Yes, the conservation centre. I was like, 'okay, a fun little date' but then we met those guys and it became a little too crowded. I also wasn't getting any vibes from you and to be honest, I was a bit disappointed"