Chapter Forty-one

Yemi was returning to Abuja later in the afternoon so I had to return the room to its previous state before he came. I was also helping him pack up stuff he was taking along with him. Mrs. Coker had so many things she wanted him to give to his parents and other relations, living there. He was losing his mind on how to go about the packing, so I took over.

At the moment, he stepped out to get to grab a couple of things from the mall closest to us and I took the liberty to quickly clear up the room and take out the laundry. I hiked up the laundry bag containing the bedsheets and rounded up the corner, about to go down the stairs.

I looked down to watch my steps for a millisecond and when I looked back up. I found Yinka's friends approaching the stairs. Jamil at the forefront had on a sky blue dress shirt and navy blue striped suit pants with a matching jacket draped, across his arm. Mide and Prisca were dressed casually. Mide had his hands stuffed in his pockets and Prisca had a white nylon bag in one hand and a fancy grey purse in the other.

I gave them an awkward head nod as a form of greeting. For some reason, no matter how frequently I saw them, their presence was always unnerving for me.

"Neye, hi. Yinka's in, right?" Jamil pointed in Yinka's room direction as he made his way up the stairs.

I nodded. "Yes"

"Kay, thanks"

I stepped off to the side to make room for them to pass. All but Prisca passed by me. Mide turned around almost immediately once he noticed Prisca not falling in line behind him.

"Can you take this up for me? I'll be there in a second" she lifted up the white nylon bag with a sugary smile.

Mide eyed her cautiously, then spared me a quick glance before hesitantly taking the nylon bag from her.

"Thanks" she gave him a wide, tight-lipped smile till he disappeared from our vantage point.

As soon as he was no longer in sight, the smile disintegrated and she turned to me with a disapproving scowl on her face. She ran her eyes up and down my frame before settling on my face and tsk-ed. I shifted from one foot to the other, moving the laundry bag from my side to my front. I was clearly uncomfortable with the silent scrutiny.

"You must be very pleased with yourself" she finally said

Pleased? About what?

"You should be happy now that you've gotten what you want. I presume that you're filled with elation" she continued

I looked at her with furrowed brows. I was completely lost. Aunty all this English you're blowing is not going anywhere cause I don't get you.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," I said

She watched me for a second before scoffing in disbelief. "He didn't tell you?"

"Tell me what?" I muttered, still lost

"So Yinka didn't tell you about the huge ruckus he caused because of you," she said, more like asking herself

Can she just stop beating about the bush and go straight to the point?

"What are you talking about?"

"Because of you—" she dragged the 'you' whilst sending me a condescending look. "Yinka had a huge physical fight with Ezer, in a public place for that matter"

"A fight?" I muttered underneath my breath.

That explains the bandaged hand. Wait, but he said he injured himself while working out in the gym and nothing about a fight. And not to talk of it, being my faul--.