Chapter Fifty-two

I hiked up my school bag for the fourth time. It kept slipping off my shoulder. My shoulders were slumped down in exhaustion as I dragged my feet to the front of my apartment. The upcoming exam week was stressing the heck out of everyone. I was just returning from a study group session with my friends. We had our first paper in three days and we were trying to revise the much we could.

The outdoor security lights were turned on, indicating my sister was home. It would be problematic if she wasn't, seeing as the sky has reclined into a pitch-black mass. I painstakingly lifted my arm to hit the locked padlock against the metal gate.

Clank! Clank! Clank!

I paused and listened for a response instead I heard movements and seconds later, our room door was pulled open. Oluchi stepped into the corridor, a mercilessly devoured chicken bone hung from her lips.

"Don't lock the gate. Uju is coming" I said as I strolled past her and into the room.

It was too late for Uju to head back to her place so she opted to crash with me since I lived a lot closer to school. Her boyfriend did too but I guess she wanted a girl's sleepover.

"Okay," she pulled the gate close and hung the open padlock on one of the iron rails.

The savoury aroma of juicy, warm chicken. One that was most likely baked in the oven wafted throughout the room. It basically smelled like an eatery was opened in my room. The source of the unusual smell was quickly located on the ground, beside Oluchi's bed. Two medium-sized buckets of sweet, sweet chicken.

"Ah ahn" I voiced out my confusion and looked back at Oluchi as she closed the door behind her. I let my bag drop down to the floor beside my bed. "Where did you get money to order chicken? You're using your pocket money to buy chicken abi? Rich girl"

"No o. I didn't buy it o" she shrugged her shoulders and settled down on her bed.

I did the same, the only difference was I went ahead to rest my back against the mattress.

"So..." I drawled out, waiting on an explanation as to how the mouthwatering goodness came to be.

"Oh, a delivery guy brought it this evening o. He said it was for you," she said

I lifted up my head from my folded arms that served as a pillow. She was now seated on the floor beside the bucket, a textbook laid open in her lap.

"For me?" I asked with cocked brows

"Mm-hmm," she said in an unbothered manner and moved the chicken bone from one side of her mouth to the other.

"So what is that chicken doing in your mouth if it is for me?" I sat up on the bed and narrowed my eyes at her.

She lifted her eyes to me, slowly pulled the bone from her mouth and gulped hard.

"That aside first, is this all that was delivered? Anything else?"

"Oh yes," she rose from the ground and grabbed a white nylon bag from our reading table. She pulled out a strawberry smoothie cup and gently placed it down on the table before handing the empty nylon to me.

I didn't move to take it from her, instead eyed her and the nylon bag in her hand. "What's this?"

She kissed her teeth and rolled her eyes as she stuck her hand in the bag and pulled out a small note. "Be doing as if you don't know"

I eyed her from head to toe before snatching the note from her grasp.

I know you're stressed with your examination preparations.
Just thought, these would make you feel better.
P.S: I'm constantly thinking of you.