Chapter Thirteen

"Walk faster," I said over my shoulder to Oluchi who was lagging behind me.

"I'm walking faster" she replied in huffs as she struggled to keep up with my pace.

I chuckled at her. I did have a long, fast stride. Normally, I made a conscious effort to slow down when walking with people but in this case, we were in a hurry. We were trying to catch the Free Church bus that came to pick members, every Sunday.

"We're late o. The bus normally leaves before seven and it's—"I glanced at my wristwatch. "6:58"

"Abeg oo" She said as she finally made it to my side, matching my pace. "The bus better be there cause I don't feel like going to that school church"

"Me too"

We had nothing against the school church. In fact, we did attend the church from time to time but there was something about the Salvation of Zion church we attended. The praise and worship were completely out of the world. The preaching was on another level, it was the only place that I'd attended and didn't want to leave.

I was invited by an old friend I used to have in my first year. She kept pestering me to come to her church and one day, I begrudgingly indulged her and attended. I was captivated and for the first time, I actually enjoyed a church service and didn't want to leave. Ever since I just couldn't attend any other church without feeling lost or comparing one thing or the other.

Although, the only thing that made us rethink going to the church was the hassle of catching the bus. We had to wake up extra early to be able to make it in time before the bus leaves, so on days we couldn't meet up, we'd just attend the church in School.

As we neared the junction, I sighted the long, white luxurious bus with the name of the church printed on it, in bold green letters.

"Ah, thank God" I released a sigh of relief.

Derele, a friend, and one of the workers in the church was standing by the entrance of the bus, holding an exercise book. "Neye, good morning. How are you now?"

"Morning. I'm fine oo" I said as I collected the book and proceeded to write my name and my sister's.

"You made it in time. We were just about to leave" he said

"Eweey. Thank God o" I said as I moved towards the door.

"Oluchi, how far now?" He said to my sister

"Fine. Good morning" she replied

There was an empty spot beside a slim, dark-skinned girl on the left side and another empty spot further down.

"Go and seat there," I said to Oluchi as I pointed to the spot in the back and then I planted myself in the spot beside the slim girl.

Derele closed the double door and was about to lock it at the top when people from the back began to call his attention. There was someone else who was trying to catch up to the bus.

"Wait o. Hold on, please" the lady yelled out as she jogged towards the door.

"Thank you. Good morning oo" She said as he pulled open the door and let her in.

He finally closed and locked the door. The driver slowly pulled out of the side of the road and joined the lane. The soft tune of a Christian worship song filled the vehicle five minutes into the journey and a few people sang along.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will live that Your will be done

I won't stop till Your Kingdom come