Chapter Fifty-eight

My heart stopped for a split second as the door swung open. I discovered that I was now laying on my side, with my back to the door and trapped under the secure hold of Yinka's arm around my torso.

This was it. My life was officially over.

I mustered up all the courage I had left and turned my head towards the door frame as I pushed up into a sitting position. Yinka's arm fell to my lap and his only movement was bringing the arm to his side before resuming his sleep. How can he still be sleeping at a time like this?

I lifted my eyes to meet a disappointed and disgruntled Mrs Coker but was met with a stupefied Bisola standing in the doorway, with a tray in her hand. Her eyes were wide open and her mouth hanging open as she stood frozen. My hands flew to my chest as I breathed a sigh of relief then immediately scampered out of the bed and over to her.

I took the tray containing a tumbler and a large juice box of Lucozade boost energy drink and placed it on one of the nightstands. Then I took her by the arm and pulled her out of the room, gently closing the door behind us.

"Shey eyes dey pain me, ni? You... Small Oga ..." Bisola started out. (Am I seeing right?)

"Not here, please" I rushed out and took her with me, down to the utility closet.

She remained quiet till we reached the safe confinements of the small utility room. It was a bit stuffy and warm, the only room in the house without an air conditioner or fan, just a tiny window wedged on the wall at the end of the room.

She folded her arms and leaned against the shelf that lined one side of the wall from top to bottom. "So, una dey fuck una selves abi, wetin?" She said, bluntly. (Are you guys having sex or what?)

I grimaced at the vulgarity of her words and refuted quickly "No. No."

"So wetin? Abi na love ni?" she said impassively. (So what? Or is it love?)

I opened my mouth to respond but the words got stuck somewhere in the back of my throat. I didn't really know how to respond to that question. Did we love each other? Or more importantly, did I love him? Love was a really strong word and I did have strong feelings for him but I wasn't quite sure I was there yet.

"We just... r-really like each other" I stumbled on my words. I felt a bit uncomfortable having to explain the status of my relationship with Yinka to her.

"Eh-en" she drawled out, speculatively gazing at me.

At this moment, I wished I had an inkling as to what was going on in her head. I knew for sure, or at least 90% sure, that she wouldn't blackmail me in exchange for confidentiality. The silence that had ensued in the room had lasted too long for my comfort.

"Can—"

"See—"

I bit back my words and gestured for her to carry on.

"I don work for this house pass you and one thing I know be say—"she started out calmly and lowered her voice as she went on. "--small oga dey always carry girls. He no dey last with one person. You sef don see am with your own eyes and as your friend, I just wan clear you. Open your eyes dey follow am o, no go dey do like mumu"

(I've worked in this house longer than you have and one thing I know is, Yinka always carries women. He doesn't stay with one person for too long. You too have seen it with your own eyes and as a friend, I just want to inform you. Be smart about what you're doing and don't be a fool)

As she spoke, multiple emotions went through me. At first, I felt irritated and a bit defensive, but then I relaxed a bit and actually took her words into consideration. As she said, she has worked here longer than I have and there were some things she would know that I wouldn't. Lastly, I felt fear wash over my entire body like a bucket of cold water.