Chapter Twenty-four

"Boss!!"

"Who's the boss? Na you, I suppose dey hail boss" Yinka said to his phone.

I lifted my head from the floor, just by the foot of his bed. I was just about to pack the dirt I'd swept out of his room. Yinka was lying on his bed, his upper half perched up against the headboard and his legs crossed at his ankles. He had his phone held out in front of his face, indicating that it was a video call.

The person on the phone chuckled. "How nah?"

"What do you mean 'how'? You went on a business trip and refused to return." He replied

The person laughed.

"You're flexing now. You don leave Naija for us, abi?" Yinka said in a joking manner

"One life mehn. Just one life, I gats enjoy it" the person responded and Yinka laughed

This voice sounds familiar

"So, how did it go? That is, the main thing you travelled for" Yinka said

"Oh yeah. I was able to close the deal without my father for the first time. It felt good"

"That's great, man. Congrats" Yinka said

The person chuckled. "Thanks, man"

Another voice, a feminine one came through just for a brief second.

"Ehennnn. I now see why you don't want to come back" Yinka said

"What do you mean?" the person said feigning ignorance

"Shut up jare. Who do you want to lie to?" Yinka said loudly before bursting into laughter

The other person joined in on the laughter.

"So, that's why you don't want to come back abi? That's the 'one life'" Yinka teased

"Guy, free me"

"Where do you see me holding you?" Yinka replied

"How's the family now? Mummy nkor?" the person asked

"Change the subject o. No problem, I'll let it slide" Yinka said. "Everyone is fine, by the way"

I rose up from my squatting position with the dustpan in one hand and walked back to Yinka's bedside table. I'd placed my dust rag on the stand after dusting. Just as I was about to walk off after retrieving the rag, I heard my name.

"Is that Chineye?"

I looked to Yinka and then to his phone, Jamil's portrait view was visible on the camera. Yinka angled the phone in my direction so I could get a good view of Jamil on the phone.

"Hey. What's up?" He greeted with a bright smile and a wave

"I'm good" I awkwardly waved back with the dust rag in my hand

"That's good," he said. "How's work?"

I looked to the dustpan in my hand and back to the camera. "Good"

"Good" he repeated nodding.

Okay...

Yinka turned the camera back to him and continued to converse with him.

Ah good. I had no idea what to do or say if that phone was still on me.

I headed straight for Yinka's waste bin and deposited the dirt into it. Cleaning his bathroom was next on my mental list and that's where I headed to.

From mere looking at the bathroom, it didn't look like there was so much to do but I knew once I got started, it wouldn't look like that anymore. I started with the hand washbasin, dousing a moderate amount of ZOOM surface cleaner on it.