Chapter Thirty-six

Yinka's POV

I leaned back against my headboard and pulled one of my pillows, stuffing it underneath my head. I shuffled left and right till I found a comfortable position.

Yemi was resting on his side at the foot of my bed. We were just chatting and for the umpteenth time, I narrated Neye and I's first encounter to him. It's been a week since he arrived and he couldn't seem to let the story go. I for one couldn't fathom what was so interesting about the story.

He laughed, falling onto his back. "I still can't believe Neye did you like that"

I shrugged my shoulder.

His laughter weaned off and he cleared his throat as he returned to his previous position. "You might not understand why I'm this hung up on this story"

"I don't," I said dryly

"Look, Neye is all about first impressions and she likes to display the best version of herself at the first meeting, you know. And two, she wouldn't go out of her way to keep up an act just to fool someone" he said with an air of confidence

"You talk like you know her inside and out," I said

"I do. I know her more than you do though" he stated

"Really?" I drawled out, picking up an eyebrow. "You sound really confident"

He shrugged his shoulder. "Because I am"

I scoffed.

An amused smile appeared on his face. "What? Do you disagree?"

I remained silent, instead, I picked up my phone and substituted it as a fidget spinner.

"Are you perhaps insinuating that you know her better than I do?" he said, his smile getting wider.

"I'm not insinuating anything," I said dryly

I don't need to start comparing who knew Neye best.

"Are afraid that I might be right?" he said

"I really don't know why you're pressing on this. I'm not going to argue with you... that would be dumb" I said slowly getting irritated

He lifted a hand in mock surrender. "Sorry. Didn't think this would make you so upset"

"I'm not angry" I stressed out

"Really? Tell that to the veins popping out at the side of your head" he pointed at my face

I took in a deep breath, closed my eyes for a second and reopened them. "I'm not angry"

"Mm-hmm" he nodded, nursing an irritating smirk

"I'm serious" I stated

"Of course," he said and looked away from me before adding in a low tone. "Neye is a touchy subject. Got it"

I sent him a death glare but he kept avoiding my gaze. A couple of seconds later, he burst out laughing and fell flat on his face then rolled onto his back.

"I'm joking man. Damn" he let out amidst chuckles

I shook my head at him and directed my gaze to my dressing table. This action sent him into another peal of laughter. A moment later, I couldn't help but chuckle at his contagious laughter.

"You're annoying," I said

Two soft knocks came through and shortly after the door was pushed open to reveal Neye. She had her braids in the high-up bun she always carried while working and rolling basket in her hand as she strolled in.