Chapter Twenty-eight

Softly, I placed a knock on Yinka's bedroom door. I proceeded to turn the door handle but the door didn't budge, indicating it was locked from the inside.

That's new.

I leaned forward and placed my ear on the door. I heard some shuffling of feet in the background, the double-clicking sounds of keys being turned followed. I stepped back before the door was pulled open to reveal a shirtless Yinka.

"When did you start locking doors?" I said as I walked past him.

He didn't need to answer because as I walked further into the room, I found Prisca lying on his bed with her phone in her hands. She was wearing a short nude dress that was slightly hiked up, her dirty blonde wig dishevelled and the phone in her hands was held upside down.

It was clear I had interrupted something.

"Oh... Should I come back or...?" I pointed towards the door.

"Yeah"

"No"

Prisca and Yinka answered at the same time. They both exchanged a look, communicating with their eyes and then looked back at me.

"You know what, just come back in five... ten minutes," he said

Ten minutes will be enough for you people... wow

"Okay. I'll just take the laundry" I said, pointing to the laundry bag in the corner

I walked in that direction and picked up the bag. Turned around and gave the room a once over for any clothes lying around. I ignored the intensive stare I was receiving from Prisca and proceeded to head out.

Please stop looking at me like that before you cut my slippers. I'm not the cause of your problems.

"I'll just go out with you and grab some snacks" Yinka announced and made to follow behind me

"You can just send her to get them. What's her purpose if you still have to go and get them by yourself?" she said in her duh tone.

I stopped in my tracks and so did Yinka.

"What should I get?" I turned to ask Yinka

"Cookies and ice cream should be fine. Thank you" he replied

I nodded and walked out with the laundry bag and cleaning basket in both hands. Walking further down the hall, I dropped the cleaning basket by the door of Mr. and Mrs. Coker's bedroom. I might as well begin from their room and give those two more than enough time.

I jogged down the stairs and casually strolled into the kitchen.

"You should send her. What's her purpose if you have to go by yourself" I mimicked Prisca in a high tone and then kissed my teeth loudly.

"Wetin happen?" Mary asked, looking up from the cutting board in front of her

She had a bowl of vegetables on the island counter to her side and a chopping board in the process of slicing down a sizeable quantity of vegetables.

"Mtchew. Never mind, jare" I said matching over to the store.

I took out the family-sized tube of ice cream, walked back into the kitchen and placed it on the counter. I proceeded to grab two small ice cream glass bowls and scooped a good amount into them. Then, I walked over to the fridge, pulled it open and scanned through for cookies.

"What are you looking for?" Mary piped up

"Cookies" I replied without turning around

"It's finished. You can take it from one of the bags there. I just came back from the market, I'm not done unpacking" she said gesturing to a heap of grocery bags on the counter by the corner.