Chapter Twenty-seven

The mop glided across the floor with ease and for a moment, it was therapeutic; just watching the glossy state of the tiles shine through after one good wipe. I mindlessly placed the mop into the bucket of clean water, moved it to the squeezer and then back onto the ground.

My hands caught in the motion of swiping the mop across the floor when my stomach churned, rather loudly. It wasn't the kind of churning associated with hunger; that would have been far better. It was the kind that followed an upset stomach, a stomach that needed to offload its content.

I cocked my head to the side, paused for a while for any more warnings and when I didn't get any, went straight back to my mopping. I went on mopping for the next ten minutes and just when I was done with cleaning the room, the churning returned. Stronger, louder and lasted longer than the first time.

My head immediately swerved to Yinka's bed where he laid on his side with headphones on and a laptop in front of him.

Ah. Thank God.

I released a sigh and looked around the room. I still had to clean up his bathroom before moving to his parent's bedroom. The churning subsided and I made a mental note to put a rush on cleaning his bathroom. I needed to get to the staff quarter's bathroom.

As I picked up the cleaning materials I needed for the bathroom, I suddenly remembered that I woke up with an urgent need to use the toilet this morning and just before I was ready to step out of the house, I had to make a quick visit to the toilet.

Omo. I better not be purging.

The churning returned once again and this time I was very much convinced that if I don't drop whatever I was doing and take care of myself, I might just go to the toilet on myself.

I'm too grown for that to happen.

I dropped everything in my hands back into the cleaning basket and immediately headed for the door.

"Forgot something?" Yinka piped up just as I placed my hand on the door handle.

"Oh... uh, no" I rushed out.

At this point, I was shifting my weight from one foot to the other.

He narrowed his eyes at me. "Are you okay?"

I wiped away the beads of perspiration that had gathered across my forehead. "Uhm... yeah. I would be right back"

"Do you need to use the bathroom?" he asked, watching me with a tinge of amusement. "You look like you really need to go badly"

"No... I mean, yes" I rambled. My brain was no longer in tune with my mouth, it was screaming 'toilet, now'. "I'll be back"

"Where are you going?" he asked, sitting up.

This is not the time for all these unnecessary questions.

"To the toilet" I deadpanned and pulled his door open.

"You can use mine" he pointed at his bathroom.

"No, it's fine" I declined, almost slipping out of his room.

"You really want to go all the way to staff's quarter, when you could just use mine?" he asked, clearly amused.

I froze and allowed his statement to simmer for a second. On second thought, his bathroom seemed like a really fine option. I probably wouldn't even be able to make it to the staff quarters in time.

I stepped back into the room and closed the door behind me. "Can I really use it?"

He chuckled. "Yeah"