Chapter Four

Loud music blasted from the speakers that were positioned at different corners of the Coker's compound. People were standing in small groups chatting amongst themselves, some dancing in their spot, some seated and feasting on the refreshments and others gallivanting from place to place.

It was a Saturday. The Cokers were throwing a small welcome back party for Yinka and invited all his friends he went to school with. What Mrs. Coker considered small wasn't what normal people would think; she hired a Dj for the 'small' party and a catering company who handled the food, snacks and decorations.

We, the maids were supposed to hang around the place just in case they needed anything, basically we became ushers. It was an all white themed party so everyone present were clad in one white clothing article or the other.

"Chineye!"

I was standing in a corner of the party watching what was going on. Yinka waved me over to where he was seated along with three other people; two guys and girl. He was dressed in a transparent white beach shirt and shorts which he paired off with black Nike slides.

I walked over to the group like the obedient server that I was. "Yes?"

"Get us another bottle of wine" he ordered dismissively.

I looked ahead and not too far away from them stood a table filled with drinks, instead of pointing that out and getting into trouble. I respected myself, nodded and walked over to the table were the drinks were placed and picked a random bottle of wine.

"If I wanted a warm bottle of wine I would've gotten it myself, innit?" He said as I placed the bottle on the table. "Do I have to tell you everything? Go inside and get a cold one"

I gritted my teeth in anger as I headed over to the house. A howl of laughter was heard from them and I could bet my life savings that I was the object of their mockery.

"Ah ahn, why your face dey like that?" Mary asked as soon as I stepped into the kitchen. (Why does your face look like that?)

I let out a small hiss. "Don't worry jare"

"Pesin touch you?" She inquired. (Did someone touch you?)

"No oo. Why?" I replied as I headed to grab a cold bottle of wine from the refrigerator.

"These people dey drink like say tomorrow no dey. When dey don high finish, dey go come dey touch pesin anyhow" she said and I could tell she had experienced it before. (These people drink like there's no tomorrow and when they're drunk, they'll start touching you inappropriately)

Mary was a couple of years older than me but we still got along pretty well. In fact everyone of the girls were older than me with a couple years except Peace who was just a year older than me.

Mary was from a small village in Akwa Ibom state and you could tell by the way she pronounced words, her accent tended to come out. She was a very beautiful, average heighted, light skinned young woman, with curves in the right places.

She had long black hair that stopped a few inches below her shoulders, framing her small oval face but since she works mostly in the kitchen, her hair was packed into a bun at the top of her head. She also had a small tribal mark the shape of an undotted (I) at the side of her face, a few inches away from her eyes.

"Hmm. God knows I will wozz anyone that tries that with me" I replied truthfully. (Slap)

She chuckled.

I waved through the crowd of people dancing around and back to the table where Yinka and his friends seated.

"Do you want me to open it" I asked nicely.