Chapter Fifty-seven

The exhilarating feeling that comes with the ping of a credit alert notification. It was bliss. The sight of the word CREDIT and the increased numbers on my current balance was enough to send me to euphoria.

I had just received my well-deserved salary and I was feeling a bit generous. Instead of my usual stiff handed approach towards the arrival of lavishness, I decided to have a Sunday fun day with my sister. It had been a while since we treated ourselves to a nice time, just the two of us.

It wasn't anything too special or extravagant, just a fun game time at the mall, a little shopping for a thing or two and a movie at the end of the day.

"Where do we start from?" Oluchi gushed with excitement as she scanned the mall

"Anywhere you like," I said

She turned to me with a wide grin. "Can we get ice cream first?"

"If you like, okay" I shrugged my shoulders.

"Yes," she leapt for the ice cream section then looked back at me to make sure I was following closely behind.

Ten minutes later, we were strolling through the mall, casually taking small scoops of ice cream. I noticed a couple of stares thrown our way and I couldn't quite tell if it was because they knew me from YouTube, or because we were two young girls walking around aimlessly with a cup of ice cream.

"Sorry, excuse me" a guy in a red t-shirt, standing two inches shorter than me appeared at my side from behind me.

We stopped and turned to face the guy, giving him our full attention. He rubbed his palm together and in a swift moment ran his tongue over his bottom lips while slightly leaning forward.

"Uhm, are you guys interested in playing games? We have 3d games, fighting, whatever you like. We're just over there" he pointed to a section towards the entrance of the mall.

From my position, I could see a few people moving around inside the gaming store. I returned my eyes to him and found him repeating his lip-licking action with the addition of a back and forth movement, almost like he needed to visit the bathroom. I realized shortly after that it was just a force of habit on his part, sadly.

I looked at my sister. "Are you ready to play games now? Or..."

She nodded, taking another spoon of ice cream. I waited for her to clear her mouth of ice cream to give me a definite answer. "Let's go now"

"Okay" I turned to the guy with a tight-lipped smile and nodded, gesturing that he lead the way.

As we approached the entrance to the game shop, I pulled out my phone and checked for any message notifications from the one and only. It was a habit I'd developed recently, I wasn't sure if I found it annoying or cute just yet.

A sigh escaped my lips as I waited for my WhatsApp notifications to come flooding in, carrying messages from the one person I was thinking of at the moment but got nothing. I clicked on the app and waited to see chats highlighted with the bright green light, just in case the phone was lagging. It wasn't.

I tapped on his name, pinned at the top of all other chats and he wasn't even online. That was weird because we hadn't spoken all day.

"Neye, drop your phone" Oluchi lightly tapped on my forearm, calling on my attention

I looked up at her for a brief moment. "Go ahead, I'll join you in a second." Then I turned to walk out of the store as I placed a call to Yinka.

Three rings later with no response, I eventually gave up. It didn't stop me from worrying though. Yinka was a social media person, he literally couldn't go six hours without being active on them. Half the day was gone and he hadn't texted me or called or even posted anything on his WhatsApp status or IG story. Now, that was weird.