Chapter Twenty-nine

A thick coat of dust particles clothed the entire room like a blanket. I placed my palm across my nose, shielding it from the stale air and walked over to the windows. Pulling back the curtains, with a swift turn, I unlocked the window lever and pushed it back allowing fresh air to flow in.

The bed frame was covered with a large white bedsheet and so was the furniture. I walked back to the centre of the room, rested my hands on my waist and looked around the room.

I released a deep sigh. Where do I even start?

After five minutes of pondering, I decided to sweep the bedroom floor and move up from there. I began to feel bored with the silence so I plugged in my earphones and began to listen to random songs on my Spotify app.

Much better

I bobbed my head to the music as I lifted the mattress and then, the inner bed frame to sweep the floor underneath it. I used my left elbow to wedge the frame to prevent it from crashing down on me as I swept with my right. I coughed as the dust began to rise from the floor and into the air.

I should have used a handkerchief around my nose.

After sweeping, I moved unto taking off the white bedsheets and then the curtains. Sunlight filled the room with the curtains out, brightening it up and somehow, lifting up my mood. I pushed the dusty fabrics to a corner of the room and began to mop the floor.

"I'ma leave the door open" I sang out as I glided the mop across the floor.

As the song progressed, I found myself using the end of the mop as a microphone. Belting my heart out as I mopped. I placed the mop in the bucket of water, gave it a good squeeze and brought it back to the floor to resume cleaning.

I moved to walk over to the opposite side of the bed frame when I caught sight of a figure resting against the door frame.

"Every word that I say is coming straight fr—"a small scream escaped my lips as I jumped in fright flinging the mop away from me.

I yanked out the earphone that prevented me from hearing him walk in. Although it wasn't like if I didn't have them on, I would still hear him. He could be really quiet when you least expect it.

Yinka chuckled as he pushed off the frame.

"It's like, you've made it a mission to give me a heart attack?" I said with my hands placed across my beating chest.

He raised his hands in mock surrender. "It's not my fault that you're not aware of your surroundings"

I made an irritated face as I eyed him.

"Did you need something?" I asked as I proceeded to pick up the mop from the floor.

"Nope," he said popping the 'p'. "I was just passing through when I saw the door cracked open and curiously went to check why it was open. Only to find you, give the furniture a concert"

I gasped underneath my breath. "Was I shouting?"

For a second, I'd forgotten that this wasn't my house and I was working. Good thing that neither Mr. Coker nor Mrs. Coker was around.

"Not really" he shoved his hands into the pockets of his black sweatpants and strolled further into the room.

I sighed in relief and carried on with my mopping.

"Why are you even cleaning this room? Nobody sleeps here" I heard him say behind me.

I crooked my head in his direction. He was perched up against the dresser, practically almost sitting on it.