Chapter Twenty

I slightly moved my head back, avoiding the hot steam that escaped from the pot as I lifted the lid. The meat sauce was bubbling. I nodded in satisfaction and placed the lid back on the pot.

I moved back to the small kitchen stool by the wall. There were two bowls right in front of the stool on the floor, one of which was filled with okras and the other empty. I released a deep sigh as I plopped down on the stool.

I'm so—so--. I don't even know how I feel

I just felt so tired and irritated today for no particular reason. I'd tried to watch a movie but I lost interest after ten minutes and then fell asleep. An hour and a half later, I woke up but I still felt drained and blank.

It was Oluchi's turn to make soup but I decided to do it, just to keep busy and also to be away from her. She was playing her music aloud and I was finding it irritating. I just knew that if I'd speak out, I'll be a little harsh and she didn't deserve that.

The taste of my food always reflects my mood so I wasn't sure making the soup was a good idea but I just wanted to be alone and by myself. Oluchi wasn't a fan of cooking so I was sure she wouldn't come into the kitchen for the duration of the cooking.

I began to slice the okras into the empty bowl. I was making a medium-sized pot of Ogbono soup. Some people didn't use okras but I grew up watching people around me making it that way.

"Hello?! Is anybody home?" A voice from outside the apartment came through.

I was halfway into slicing the okras and my hands were covered in the okra slime. I disregarded the idea of washing off my hands to open the door and answer to whoever that was. Besides, Oluchi was literally doing nothing in the room.

I heard the clanking sound of the gate bolts being pulled open and then shut. I leaned towards the side and craned my neck to get a glimpse of the guest. My efforts turned out to be in vain, I couldn't see anything from my angle.

"Where's Neye?" I heard the voice faintly say.

I couldn't quite hear Oluchi's response but I assumed she pointed whoever it was in the direction of the kitchen.

"Osheyy. I came at the right time" My cousin, Ogechi walked into the kitchen

"Ah. It's even you sef" I said as I rose up to give her a side hug. "How far now?" (How are you?)

"Omo, I dey oo" she replied. (I'm okay)

Ogechi was a tall, thick, dark-skinned girl. A very beautiful one at that. She always stood out in any room she entered because of her edgy facial features and height. You would think she would be a little shy and self-conscious with all the attention she got but she relished it.

"It's been a while now," I said as I sat back down. "When did you get back?"

She had just graduated and had gone on her NYSC (National Youth Service Corps) program. It was a one-year program that every Nigerian was required to do to able to get a job in Nigeria and also like a service to the country.

"The day before yesterday," she said with a bright smile.

"Omo, see person wey go NYSC. You con get body pass me" I said as I looked her up and down. (You're looking good for someone who went to serve)

She did a full 360 turnaround, swaying her hips as she rotated. "Check am now. You no know say I be baby girl. A baby girl for life" (Of course. You didn't know I'm a baby girl)

"Ehenn. Soft life" I said.

"Na because dem no send you go north, make sun finish you for there" I teased