Chapter Fifty-six

Yinka picked up his favourite scent and applied it a couple of times at the side of his neck, on his wrist and around his chest area. He placed the cologne back into his wardrobe, turned around and scanned the room, going back and forth from the wardrobe and his bed. He picked up his pillows one after the other and dropped them back in frustration.

"Ah, found it" He exclaimed under his breath and picked up a hairbrush from his dressing table.

I watched him brush his hair, seated on the edge of his bed with my legs crossed and my elbow placed on the crossed thigh. My chin resting on the palm of my wedged up arm. He followed the patterns of his hair with the brush then move down to his stubble.

He turned around to face me and flexed his arm, carefully adjusting his white dress shirt. "How do I look?"

I eyed him, menacingly and kissed my teeth, loudly. "What's that? First of all, why is the top of your shirt unbuttoned? Secondly, the perfume is for what? Ehn? See as you almost finished the whole bottle for a date that 'you don't really want to go on'. You're even brushing hair and beards—"I clapped my hands in incredulity and laughed sardonically. "—Hei, God o. Who are you deceiving? Me? You must not know who I am?"

I switched to a singsong tone. "You must not know bout me, you must not know bout me. Rubbish. Abeg, abeg, abeg, don't ask me stupid questions"

"Neye?" His voice brought me back into reality.

"Hmm?" I blinked and refocused on him.

He had his eyes narrowed at me as he searched my face. "What are you thinking about? I was asking if I looked okay."

"Oh," I said and ran my eyes over his frame.

The white dress shirt was slightly transparent, in my opinion. Some people would say there's nothing wrong with it but I say, he should wear an inner shirt, singlet or something. The light blue jeans were nice, I guess. He paired it off with fancy white Nike sneakers. The whole outfit on him was chef's kiss but it just felt like it was too much.

"It's okay, I guess" I replied after much deliberation

He cocked his head to the side. "You guess?"

He pulled open his wardrobe and stood before the in-built mirror on one of the doors. He smoothened out the folded part of the sleeves and stared at the outfit.

"No, no. I mean—"I fiddled with strands of the high puff of my hair. "—I can't really tell you how to dress but... don't you think it's a bit much"

"You think this is much?" he raised an eyebrow at me then returned his gaze to the mirror, perusing the outfit.

"As I said, I can't tell you what to do. If you feel it's casual then go ahead" I said and picked up my phone.

"Okay, so what would you prefer I wear?" he said

"Hmm?" I looked up at him with feigned indifference. "Oh, I don't know. Anything else... Maybe another shirt, I don't know"

He turned to his wardrobe and after a few seconds of scanning through clothes, he pulled out a black, long-sleeved button-up shirt. "What about this?"

"Mmm," I drawled on, tilting my head in thought.

"No?"

I rose from the bed and walked over to his wardrobe. "Let me find something for you"

I didn't know how tedious it was to find decent clothes in this large wardrobe of his. After minutes of diligently searching, I was able to find a large black T-shirt that looked good enough to be worn on a friendly hangout.