Chapter Forty-three

Monday Lagos traffic. One would think that it would've dissipated by afternoon but that was not the case today. The closer I got to Unilag school gate the anxious I got. I was fighting the urge to burst out of Yinka's car and begin racing towards my lecture hall.

'Move now!' was at the tip of my tongue when the car directly in front of us didn't join the other cars moving in an infuriating, turtle pace. Instead, I drummed my fingers against the handle of the car door and briefly glanced at the time on the dashboard.

"Relax," Yinka said, looking over at me for a second before returning his gaze ahead

"I'm calm" I shot back quickly.

"That's not what your legs are saying" he gestured at my legs bouncing with fervour.

I leaned back into my seat and rolled my eyes but made an effort to keep the bouncing in control. All these because of an impromptu test.

At this final stage of schooling, most people developed the 'I cannot come and kill myself' attitude and wouldn't bend over backwards just for a test that wasn't even scheduled ahead of time. But I wasn't most people and when it came to things like tests, exams and any form of academic assessment, I don't joke with it.

If anything came in the way of successfully accomplishing any of those things, I panicked. I would go a full-on panic mode. When I received the message on my departmental group chat, I almost ran out of the Coker's house with my uniform on.

Yinka found that moment comical but I, on the other hand, was mentally calculating how I'd get to school in time for the test when I was so far away. Luckily, he offered to drive me all the way there and I was grossly grateful because waiting for the bus fill-up wasn't something I wanted to do.

I used my hands to dab the trickles of sweat on my forehead and then resumed my drumming on the door.

How can someone be sweating in an air-conditioned car? I would've laughed if it wasn't for my current panicked state.

At last, Yinka pulled into the driveway of my departmental building. I looked out the glass and recognized a few familiar faces still casually strolling out and towards the building. I released a sigh of relief and rested my palm on my chest, shutting my eyes for a second.

"Thank you so much" I turned to Yinka as I unbuckled my seatbelt.

He was watching me with a subtle smile when my gaze met his.

A smile crept onto my lips. "What?"

Still maintaining his smile, he shook his head and threw a low-toned. "Nothing"

I tilted my head to the side and narrowed my eyes at him. In return, he winked and ran his tongue swiftly across his bottom lip then smirked.

I fought the blush that was creeping up on me and averted my eyes to the car floor, where my bad was placed. "What's wrong with you?" I muttered and picked up my bag swiftly.

I opened the door and placed one foot on the ground then turned to thank him one more time before completely getting down from the car. I flung my bag across my shoulder and waved him goodbye as he drove out.

It was like I'd stepped out of heaven because the hot air that blew against my face as I walked up to the entrance of the building irritated my entire being.

"Neye!"

I turned around and found Emeka making his way over to me. I stood still in the sun, using my hand as a shield for my eyes as I waited for him to catch up to me.

"I knew it was you," he said approaching me and giving me a side hug. "Did you just get out of that car?"

"Oh yeah. Yinka dropped me off" I said with a nod.