Chapter Seventeen

"I was like, 'what kind of introduction is that?'" Mary said in between laughs.

The rest of us, housekeepers laughed out loud.

We were all gathered in the kitchen. Mrs. Abigail had gone out on an errand for Mrs. Coker, leaving just the housekeepers to man the house.

Bisola, Peace, and I were done with our respective duties and were keeping Mary company as she prepared dinner. Porridge Yam and Fish with Vegetables on the side.

I didn't have any classes today so instead of rushing home like I always did, I decided to stay back and attempt my project. The zeal to research for my project was far gone. Ever since I was told to restart, I'd just been reluctant to do it.

I was only able to get a chapter done on my new topic before Bisola and Peace strolled in and the chatting began. I was intermittently listening in on the discussion for the first hour but after that, I closed my books and fully joined in.

"It has happened to me so many times," Bisola said

"Of course now. You wey dem dey always rush" Peace said. (They always flock around you)

"Abeg o. Nobody dey rush me oo" Bisola said

We all stared at her, wide=eyed.

"What, now?" She said suppressing her smile.

"Even me, who is not around here that much, knows that's not true" I said

"Oyah, maybe just small" Bisola said. (Okay)

"Which one is small? Every time I go out with her, guys go just dey stop her left, right, center" Peace said.

"Asin ehn" I said. "There was a time, we both went to buy something in the other street. We no even reach halfway, dem don dey stop us"

Bisola chuckled. "Stop jor"

"I just stand like ode under hot sun, dey wait for them, make dem finish talking" I added. (I just stood like a fool under the hot sun, waiting for them to be done talking)

"The thing be say Bisola dey follow dem talk, na in make" Mary spoke up as she covered the lid of the steaming pot. "Because, if to say, she no dey smile with them. Dem for no dey follow her like that" (The thing is Bisola talks to them as well. If she didn't, they wouldn't be bold enough to approach her)

"Yes" Peace agreed

"Wetin? See as una table my matter" Bisola said playfully. (What? Look at how you guys are on my case)

"Mary, you nkor? You follow open mouth. Is it because I never talk your own?" Bisola said

"Which own?" Mary tried to play dumb but the blush that appeared on her cheeks gave her away.

"Abeggie. Don't start. She don already red" Bisola teased as approached Mary. (Please, don't start. She has already turned red)

I just sat on my high stool, watching attentively with a widespread smile on my face. I had no idea who they were talking about but it was so fun to watch Mary's discomfort.

"Wait. Wait. Who are you people talking about? Ehen... so Mary, you sef get bobo" I said

"Ah. You don't know him? One short, fair guy that has so much beards" Peace said

I shook my head in confusion.

"Issa lie. You know him, joor." Bisola said as she rushed to my side.

"I have no idea who you guys are talking about," I said

Bisola rolled her eyes at me. "You know him. He's always wearing a face cap and walks like he wants to start running"