Chapter Sixty-six

Yinka's POV

I shifted my weight from one foot to the other and fought the urge to pull out my phone and check the time. The three minutes Neye allocated me had long elapsed and the sky grew darker with every passing minute, she should be leaving any moment now.

Chief Babalola, Mide's father pushed his tongue against his teeth and produced a small tsking sound. "These children don't listen. The other day, I was speaking to Olumide here," he lifted a finger towards his son beside me. "About this, his persistent decision to be a cameraman—"

"Photographer," Mide inserted in a monotone

His father side-eyed him, smacked his lips in open disregard and continued. "To be a cameraman, rather something substantial. A government pensioned job or something"

My father hummed in agreement.

OF course, he would. I lifted my eyes away from my father's committee of career judges and scanned the premises for nothing in particular. The muscles at my back tensed up, at the sight of the startling interaction between two unlikely mutuals of mine – Prisca and Neye. Their close proximity didn't sit right with me, especially after Prisca's outburst with the confirmation of my relationship with Neye. I felt a strong need to step in between the two. It was clear to me, Prisca wasn't keen on my girlfriend and the contempt plastered all over her face made it even clearer.

I noticed my mother striding her way over to the duo with knitted brows, and then the little audience that had their attention turned towards them. Did I miss something? Neye reached out to swipe off something from Prisca's shoulder and the next second, Prisca had struck my girlfriend across the face.

FUCKING HELL! Like a man set on fire, I leapt into motion. I may have clocked something like this coming from a mile away, but it didn't stop the larva that flooded my chest. Nor did it abate my tensed-up muscles and pounding heart.

The slap had cut off all conversation within its radar. The house wasn't as packed as it was during the day but there was just enough audience for tongues to set to wagging. I couldn't be bothered to act composed and gauge my reaction, as I marched over to the duo. I wasn't sure what actions I wanted to take (or not take), but my anger had simmered beyond reason. I needed to put Prisca in her fucking place. She had gone too far.

My mother reached me before I got to the hot zone and held unto my arm. "Let me handle it," she said squeezing my arm as she side-stepped me, acting as a wedge between Prisca and me. "Take her inside"

My mother took my hand and placed Neye's in it. From the corner of my eyes, I could see the pleading message inscribed in my mother's eyes as she tried to hold my gaze. But, I wasn't ready to acknowledge her. My vision was fixated on Prisca, who for some reason had gotten teary-eyed and had her hands over her mouth. Like she hadn't been the one to raise her hand against my babe, at my FREAKING father's birthday/parent's anniversary party.

I'd had it to my neck with Prisca. Over and over again, I'd let her petty behaviour, her annoying tendencies and her snide remarks all slide. I still hung around with her because we had some history, even before we began messing around. We were friends for a long time – just like Ezra was.

"What is wrong with you?" I spat, trudging a step forward.

My mother wedged her palm over my chest and stepped in front of me. "Olayinka," her tone deepened, "I said, let me handle it"

Neye's fingers flinched in my palm, it was a minuscule action that she didn't even probably notice. I ground my teeth and balled my free fist as I tried to reel in my frustration. Jamil draped an arm over my shoulder and began to propel me towards the house. This wasn't the end. I clicked my tongue and flicked my head to the side, as I expelled air through my nostrils.