Chapter Sixteen

Yinka's POV

I repeatedly tapped my pen against my notepad. I raked my mind for ideas, words, anything I could possibly put down but each time, I came up blank. I stared hard at the blank, empty page, hoping something would just magically pop into my head.

Nothing.

I blew out air from my lips in frustration as I leaned back against my headboard and stared up at the ceiling. I just needed something to take my mind off the news I got.

For me, writing songs was a way of teleporting into a different world. I could literally see the visuals of each hook, chorus, and line. As I wrote down the lyrics, I could already see how the music video would look like. Songwriting came really easy for me. Literally, anything could inspire me, could be a movie, a real-life scene unfolding before my eyes, my own personal experiences.

The one time I needed to use my writing process to escape reality. it wasn't forthcoming. I guess I must really angry and disappointed at the turn of events.

My producer/manager called me earlier to inform me that a song I'd been working on just before I left was being given to another artist. It wasn't my own song but I'd assisted in writing it; changing certain lines, spending countless hours in the studio, picking out beats that would go perfectly well with it. And now that it was close to being ready, I'm being sidelined.

I just think Rayzore's voice would be better with this track. Don't worry, you'll be given credits for assisting in writing the song.

I mean, since you're away, taking a break. You can always write up more songs, you could even have an album ready by the time you're ready to get back. No pressure on your end. Take your time.

I was signed to a small music label. We weren't big enough to compete against the bigger companies that handled the very popular artist but we were also leaving our own little imprint in the industry. There were about ten other artists signed to the company. Rayzore, Olivia, and I being the top artists in the company.

I'd heard of this kind of ordeals happening to artists from bigger companies and I've never once thought it would happen to me. I considered the company a family but I guess the same thinking wasn't reciprocated.

I returned to Nigeria for a short break and also to see my parents. I didn't have work in mind because I was banking on that song but it seems like I'd have to come out of my holiday mode. I needed to have a song or even more by the time I was ready to return.

I returned my attention to my notepad and flipped through the previous pages. There were a couple of ideas that I'd jotted down but later gave up on, half-written songs, hooks, verses, just bits and pieces of different songs.

My phone buzzed beside me on the bed. Might as well drop this, since I'm getting nowhere. I placed my notepad on the bed and picked up my phone. There were a couple of unread chats but the most current was from Prisca.

Prisca💞: Hey you?
               Whatchu up to?

Me: Nothing much.
       You?

Prisca💞: Nothing as well.
                ...

The typing icon lingered on for a while indicating she was either typing something really long or she was going back and forth on her words.

Prisca💞: Just lying in bed, in my really short satin nightgown

Ohh. This is what she was deliberating on. I decided to play along.

Me: Really... How short?

Prisca💞: Extremely short.
                ...