Chapter Forty-six

Forbidden things are always the most desirable. For me, my feelings towards Yinka was like a forbidden thing. The idea of us just being platonic friends was a complete farce, especially after what happened- or almost happened the day before. I would be lying if I said I didn't harbour feelings for him, it was quite obvious at this point.

After he left I had enough space and time to properly rethink the entire scenario. Later on, I was actually thankful that Oluchi walked in when she did because, if had the kiss had happened, a lot of things would've changed and there would be no going back from that.

Just because I liked him didn't mean that going further would be wise. There were a lot of factors to consider. It was clear that we both liked each other but it wasn't as easy as it seemed. My mind ran far and wide to a lot of things that could come back to hunt me if I actually decided to throw caution to the wind.

First on that list was his mother, Mrs. Coker. I couldn't begin to fathom how she would feel about rendezvous Yinka and I would've embarked on. She had been nothing but generous and kind to me ever since I met her. The thought of disappointing her or her feelings towards me changing for the worst plunged my heart into my stomach.

The second was my colleagues. I was already being favoured by Mrs. Coker, dating her son could rub them the wrong way. I wouldn't know but I couldn't also assume that they wouldn't care.

The third and most important factor was Yinka himself. His career and public status have always made me sceptical towards pursuing anything with him. Thinking about going further with him unsettled me. But, when I thought of maintaining a pure friendship with him, I felt calm and satisfied. For what reason? I couldn't pinpoint it. I didn't know if I was just unnecessarily scared or if there was an actual reason to be afraid.

I had to ask myself some important questions like; Is it really worth it? Do I really want to take the risk? Is this truly what I want? Or am I just infatuated?

My phone chimed on the bed, beside me. I lazily picked up and raised it to eye level. On my notification bar was a WhatsApp message from Yinka - 'Are you busy?'.

A smile etched at both sides of my lips and moved to reply but caught myself before I could even swipe up my phone pattern.

What am I doing?

"Ughh" I groaned out in frustration and set the phone down beside me

This is hard.

After minutes deliberating on whether or not to answer and regurgitating on my previous train of thought, I decided to pray on it and hope that I get some clarity and peace in my heart. And that was the last thing I did before falling into a deep hot Sunday afternoon slumber.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I moved to pull open the lid of the oven in this strange yet familiar house. The surroundings of the kitchen were in some ways blurry but it matched with the regular open-spaced, U-counter walled kitchen.

As I reached for the handle of the oven lid, a voice called from behind, halting me in my movement.

"It's not the right time" it echoed.

I turned around and met with a huge man, his face not familiar yet it felt like I expected to know him. I wasn't troubled by the strange man's presence, surprisingly.

"But it's done" I bent over and glanced at the whole chicken in the oven. It was already golden brown and I could bet that it was crispy on the outer corners.

"It looks ready but it's not" the voice repeated

I straightened up with a 'humph', crossing my arms over my chest like an impertinent child. I really wanted to take the chicken out and begin to devour. The man walked up to me and placed a firm hand on my shoulder.