Chapter Eleven

I made my way up the stairs with the cleaning equipment in one hand and the other on the railings to balance the weight out. It was 10am on a Saturday morning, I had an early two hours class by 7am so I couldn't come in early. It was sometimes unbelievable how understanding Mrs. Coker was with my irregular work schedule. She understood that I could have emergency classes that would clash with my work hours, all she requested was I let Mrs. Abigail know immediately about such a turn of events.

Personally, I was glad that I happened to have a morning class because it had become a routine for Yinka's friends to stop by in the morning. They would hang around for an hour in his room before they would all head out and he would return later in the evening.

As it turned out, I was trying my best to avoid Yinka's friend, Jamil. I wasn't sure if he was just a genuinely nice person or he had hidden agendas attached to his kindness towards me. I hoped that by now, Yinka and his friends would've left the house but to be safe I decided to start cleaning from his parent's room.

As I rounded up the end of the stairs, a chorus of loud laughter echoed through the hallway as Yinka's bedroom door swung open. It was clear to me at this moment that he was very much at home and so were his friends.

It was too late for me to turn back around because I wouldn't get far down the stairs before they saw me so I might as well just go ahead. I walked out into the hallway with my head purposely turned away from Yinka's bedroom direction.

Luckily, his parent's bedroom was on the opposite end of the hall so I didn't have to walk past them. I made fast, conscious strides to get to his parent's room without being called back.

"Chineye!"

Heuw God. I shut my eyes tightly for a split second as I halted and then turned around with a subtle smile plastered on my face.

"Yes?!"

I identified the caller to be Yinka as he walked slightly ahead of his friends with his eyes trained on me. I made small steps to close up the distance.

"Yeah?" I repeated

"There's a pile of clothes beside my laundry bag, don't bother washing them. I'll sort them out myself" he said

I nodded. "Okay"

"Is that all?" I asked when he didn't say anything.

"Yeah. That's it" he replied

I avoided Jamil's gaze as I proceeded to turn around but he called me back. He sounded like he had deliberated on whether to call my attention or not.

"Yeah?"

"Uhm... Well, we're going to see a movie later this evening. Would you... like to come... with us?" Jamil said

Yinka's two other friends behind him who chatting amongst their selves stopped and turned to him and then proceeded to look at me. The silence that ensued was no doubt very thick, there was an exchange of confused looks between the three friends while Jamil stared right at me, awaiting a response.

I for one was caught off guard and didn't know what to say. I would've never pictured such a request proceeding out of his mouth. Why would he think I would be comfortable watching a movie with them? I barely knew them. I opened my mouth to respond though the words were stuck somewhere in the back of my throat but Yinka beat me to it.

"I don't think, she has that much free time on her hands," Yinka said.

"Uhh-" I started to say but Yinka cut me off again

"I recall her saying she had a very busy schedule, school, work, and stuff, right?" He narrowed his eyes at me as he waited for me to concur with him.