Chapter Fifty-five

It was pure coincidence that I arrived at the Coker's mansion the same time Yinka returned from his morning gym session. I slowed down my pace into a casual stroll, slyly watching out for any audience and also waiting for Yinka to catch up with me.

Just the sight of him, alighting from his car in an all-black silk sportswear had me grinning like a clown. He sent a wink in my direction then went around his car to grab his gym bag in the backseat.

"Hey, beautiful," he said, taking my hand in his as we strolled towards the house.

"Naso," I said, despite my intense blushing. I still couldn't get over the warmth that flooded my insides every time we held hands. (Yeah right)

"You really don't know how to take compliments" he pointed out, squeezing my hand gently.

I chuckled. "From you, I don't. I'm sorry. I always have to come back with something sarcastic or I'll be a giddy mess"

"You're going to have learn cau –"his words were cut off as the front door was ripped open.

I didn't wait to see who was emerging from the house before tearing my hands away from Yinka's and putting a good distance between us. Mrs. Coker appeared in the doorway just as we separated from each other.

"G-good morning, ma!" I managed to holler my greeting despite the hard thumping of my heart against my chest.

"Morning, dear" she spared me a glance before turning to her son. "Yinka, I was wondering when you'll get back. Go in and freshen up quickly. The Ayindes would be arriving any moment from now"

"What's that got to do with me?" Yinka asked, making his way over to his mom.

"What is that supposed to mean?" She scowled at him, narrowing her eyes and running them over his frame from top to bottom in a menacing manner.

He reached her and placed an arm around her as a way to douse her growing annoyance. "I meant, aren't they coming to see you and daddy?"

She pushed off his arm from her shoulders and kissed her teeth. "Fi mi le, jare. Go and freshen up, your father wants you to be present. If you have a problem with it, go and take it up with him" (Leave me)

I left the duo discussing and made my way over to the housekeeper's quarters. The adrenaline rush from almost being caught by Mrs. Coker slowly dissipated, I released a sigh of relief. This was like playing an extreme sport. A dangerous one at that.

I realized that openly showing affection and being awfully close with each other in such an exposed space was a dumb move on our path, most especially mine. I had more to lose than he did and I needed to be more careful particularly when we were at the lion's den.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yinka's POV

I took great effort in slowing down my strides to the living room. The loud baritone voices and deep laughter of my father and Mr. Ayinde boomed from within the living room just as I rounded the corner to the entrance.

I took in a deep breath and braced myself for the order of greetings and exchange of pleasantries that would soon follow. Mr. Ayinde, seated on the sofa right next to my father was the first to notice my presence.

"Ah, Olayinka bawo ni?" the short, dark-skinned man nursing a protruding belly bellowed with excitement. (How are you?)

"Mo wa, sir" I said with a tight-lipped smile as I bent forward to prostrate in respect. (I'm fine)

I straightened up for a brief second and noticed his wife at the other end of the living room with my mother and right beside her, dressed in casual white tee and jeans, was a younger replica of Mrs. Ayinde. My mother and her friend were beaming with smiles as my eyes met theirs, one filled with pride and the other with admiration.