Chapter Sixty-four

"You wouldn't mind a friendly game with me, right?"

I paused and debated the good and bad that could come out of playing with him in my head - more bad than good. Although my energy had run down, I could still handle one more game but would it be worth it - most likely not.

I did a small pat down on my body and raised an empty hand to him. "I'm out of wagers"

"That's fine. We can handle the wagers later," he waved off my excuse with the flick of his wrist. His black floral patterned co-ord jacket swayed back, revealing his inner white T-shirt. He stuck his hands into the pockets of his matching shorts. "-unless, you're scared of a little beat down"

Most of the attention in the room was now on us, intent on what my next line of action would be. I could walk away and have him spew whatever he wanted, in the end, it wouldn't matter. Or, I could indulge him in one game and wipe the smug look off his face.

I released a sigh, squared my shoulder and trudged back to the pool table. I held out my hand and Mide placed the long cue stick into it. Ezer clapped his hands together in finality and gestured to the blood-red jacket guy to arrange the balls into a triangle.

"I want to propose a new rule," Ezer said, his lips turned up with mischievous intent. "There would be no takebacks of the wagers - deal?"

I scoffed and shook my head. "I don't even know what I'm sacrificing yet"

"Don't fret. It's nothing too expensive" he gestured to my empty wrist. "If you could give your Rolex up, you can give this up"

My subconscious mind hinted not to take this deal but I pushed it aside. If whatever he wanted was somewhat equal to my Rolex, I guess I could part with it. "Only if I'm extended the same courtesy. I get to decide what I want from you"

"Sure. Let's start" he retrieved the second cue stick and waved it to me. "You can go first"

I rolled my eyes at his overly enthusiastic attitude and bent over the table. I rested my thumb against my index finger to form a V, closed one eye for clear focus and in one move, broke the balls apart. Two balls rolled into the side pockets of the table.

I moved around the table, after a moment of studying the next best move and repeated my previous action. A red ball rolled into one of the pockets at the edge of the table. I straightened up to ease the tension that had built up in my shoulders. From the corner of my eyes, I noticed Ezer's tight grip on his cue stick, his eyes trained on the table.

My next strike wasn't successful and Ezer failed to hide his excitement as he took over the game. As the game progressed - with my record of six balls in the pockets and one more to go before the deciding black 8 ball - I relaxed. My win was sure. I began a mental debate about what I should receive as a prize from him. Not that I needed it anyway.

What should I ask for? I thought as I leaned over the table, adjusting the cue stick between my fingers. I had my eye on a blue ball, a few inches away from the corner pocket and the black 8 ball. I inhaled deeply and exhaled before striking.

"Ah fuck" My hands immediately flew to the sides of my head as I shut my eyes tightly.

I looked up and found a nasty grin plastered over Ezer's face. He lifted both hands in the air, beaming victoriously.

"Shit" I muttered underneath my breath and looked down at the table.

The targeted blue ball had rolled over to my side of the table and the black 8 ball was somewhere in the pockets of the table. Against my intentions, the striking ball barely hit the blue ball and then rolled towards the black 8, pushing it into the pocket. An illegal hit - that declared Ezer the winner.