Chapter Sixty-five

Recap (because I've been such a lousy author) - The female MC - Neye. Male MC/love interest - Yinka. Yinka had attended a house party, where he lost his couple necklace to Ezra (ex-friend) in a bet. He also happened to encounter a mystery lady from his tucked-away past. 

I hope this brings you up to speed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yinka rocked back in laughter, a beer bottle in one hand and the other anchored him to the high round table, surrounded by his friends. Jamil leaned into the table, bellowing in the same manner as Yinka whilst Mide stood erect but his face was drawn apart with laugh lines.

An involuntary smile tugged on my lips as I stood at one end of the Coker's large compound, beholding the jovial scene play out. It was nice to see him fully engaging in any kind of interaction. After the night of his hangout, it felt like the Yinka I knew got exchanged for a distant, low attention-spanned man.

True to my words, I had questioned Yinka about the reason behind his question but he dodged every angle of that conversation. He shrugged it off and labelled it 'one of the many weird things his brain vomits when intoxicated'. Days ago, I told myself to be content with that answer and not dig deep into it. But now, I was not entirely convinced I could believe that response anymore. I had no idea what transpired at that party for him to even think of a breakup. My heart plunged an inch closer to my bowels, whenever I thought of us splitting up.

"Hello? Excuse me!" The swift motion of a hand wave at the corner of my eyes extracted my attention from the men, feet away from me. Under the small white canopy before me, a large family man seated by one of the few tables fixed me a pointed stare. His wife and three daughters watched silently whilst their dark, rotund father beckoned me over. "Aye, you!"

I glanced to my side, for the other girls who were beside me and found that I was standing alone. I pushed myself into motion and moved over to my caller, plastering a soft smile on my face. "Yes?"

The man smacked on his pre-chewed food and swallowed visibly before speaking. "There's no drink on this table. Just water," he gestured to the table, covered with plates of food and table water. "Look at a bottle of wine on other tables, and even mineral but there's nothing here," he smacked again, more loudly this time, as he adjusted in his poor seat. "Ah ahn, is it right?"

I barely glanced at the other tables he pointed at and forced my features to display some sort of compassion. "Oh, I'm very sorry, sir. It must have been an oversight on the path of the servers. I would send drinks over right now"

He made a disgruntled sound in the back of his throat that matched the expression marring his wife's face. His children's expectant yet polite faces were the only reason I felt a tinge of sympathy. I walked away from the canopy and headed into the house for a bottle of wine but not before sending over one of the hired servers to issue bottles of soda to the kids.

My eyes travelled to Yinka and his friend on my short commute to the house. His friends were still actively conversing while his head was bent over his phone. The forward and backward swipe his thumb made across the screen without a second break told me that his attention was nowhere near the contents of that phone screen. Could he have done something he shouldn't have? As much as I didn't want my mind to wander towards unfaithfulness, the absence of our matching necklaces on his neck didn't exactly reinforce confidence in our relationship. Urgh... This is so annoying.

We really needed to talk. My mind was a jumbled mess from clashing thoughts and guesses – Is he having second thoughts about us? Did he meet someone better? – I blinked away the thought and looked ahead. This time around, I would be firm with him and I wouldn't be distracted by neck kisses or back hugs. Nor, will I entertain his casual shoulder shrugs as a response.