Chapter Thirty-five

I scribbled down on my note with ferocity, using my phone as a reference. My project was finally wrapping up to a conclusion. Despite the setback I faced, I was still able to meet up with the rest of my teammates and was down to the last chapter.

After this last one, I can finally relax.

I paused for a second, spreading wide my stiffening fingers and rotated my neck from side to side. I delved back into my work and not less than five minutes later, Yinka strolled into the kitchen.

"Still working on your project?" he said, heading to the storeroom.

"Yeah" I replied, glancing up briefly

Two seconds later, I heard a soft thud against the counter and looked up to find a tube of vanilla ice cream on the counter. Yinka walked over to one of the overhead cupboards and pulled out a ceramic soup bowl.

"Are you hungry?" I questioned

"I don't think I'm particularly hungry. I think it's more because I'm bored" he said, pulling out a tablespoon from the drawer. "I just want to snack on something"

"Is there ever a time you're not bored?" I said halfheartedly, flipping unto the next page of my book

"When I'm with you" he replied without hesitation and shot me a cheeky smile.

I rolled my eyes and did my best to suppress the smile coming on. "You've started"

He chuckled and walked over to the refrigerator.

Light-hearted flirting. This was slowly becoming a norm with him. There wasn't a day he didn't flirt or say something extremely cringe-worthy. The good thing was I knew he was just playing around so I would sometimes indulge him and others, I'd just brush it off.

You might be wondering 'how come you guys are casually talking and not being awkward around each other after what had happened?'. Well, it has been three days since his unprecedented attitude switch and unlike what some of you might think, there was no addressing of the issue whatsoever.

I arrived at work the next day after thinking the atmosphere would be awkward and silent but it was the exact opposite. I was received with the usual friendly demeanour, almost like nothing happened. No explanations. No apology.

Instead of making mountains out of molehills, I decided to go along with it. Bearing in mind that despite the familiarity, I still needed to respect his space and endeavour not to cross certain lines. Whatever they might be.

He pulled out two Snicker chocolate bars and a packet of crackers. He returned to his soup bowl, placed down the contents in his hands and began to scoop ice cream into the bowl. I watched him slam the chocolate bars with the side of his palm at strategic points and then began to unwrap them.

"Are you going to put them into the ice cream?" I asked, watching him

"Yeah" he replied, completely focused on what he was doing.

I watched him mix the ice cream and chocolate together and then break pieces of the crackers, sticking the pieces into the ice cream mixture. I returned back to my work after seeing him stick the crackers in.

"Want one?" he said, a minute later whilst taking a spoon.

I looked back up. "Uhh... no, thank you. I think I want water instead"

I placed down my pen and flipped my book close before coming down from my stool. I stretched up my arms as soon as my feet hit the floor and then walked over to the refrigerator. I pulled out a bottle and took a couple of gulps before setting it down on the counter.