Chap. 61

They finally get back to Blake's he unlocks the door and they all rush inside. The house was still as empty as when they left which Blake was used to and wasn't really surprised about. Emma on the other hand was, their parents still weren't home by this time in the day? By this time in the day her mother would have probably be telling her to go to dance practice then after that she would have to help at the animal shelter. But since she kinda ran away from home and was here with Blake she's chosing not to worry herself with it. Of course she would have to go back home at some point maybe tomorrow just to let her parents sweat alittle bit about her suddenly leaving. Alex walks upstairs to his bedroom saying he'll be back down after putting his things away. She sitting on the living room couch followed by Blake "Are you going to cook Alex dinner" suddenly remembering the disaster of this mornings pancakes and worried for the small boys safety. Blake leans forward picking up the remote off the table "That must be a joke" he laughs looking at her while shaking his head "I always just order food off door dash but I'm hoping they fed him at his friends house. They usually do that before sending him home" he turns on the tv flicking between the channels. She nods laying her head on his shoulder as Alex walks down stairs looking at them cuddled up eyebrow raised but not saying anything. He walks closer plopping on the other couch "Did they feed you over there kid?" Blake asks while stopping on some news station Alex nods looking over at the box by the front door. Emma noticed the christmas decorations along with a fake tree still in the box this morning but didn't really think to ask Blake why it was all just sitting by the door. Alex rubs his small hands before walking over to the stack of boxes. Both their eyes followed him across the living room "When did mom and dad say we where going to put up christmas decorations?" he slightly pout poking at the top of the box. Blake sighs slightly running his fingers through his hair "I don't know a few days ago..."Alex pressed his lips before humming with annoyance this most have been a normal conversation for the pair of them. Alex gets on his knees beside one of the boxes opening the lid before looking over at them with a smile "We should set it up together" his voice was full of excitement as he begins pulling out different ornaments. Blake looks at her a moment before pulling away to stand up walking over to Alex he sits a hand on his shoulder. Emma bites her lip watching the interaction quietly "I don't know, they said to wait Alex" Alex stops going through the box looks up at him "If we wait for them it will never get up just like the last two years" Emma's heart shook for the little boy when she noticed his voice was slightly shaking as if he was about to cry. Blake gets on his knees beside Alex "Where is all this coming from suddenly Alex?" Alex looks down playing with the small red ornament in his hands. He shrugs slightly apparently not wanting to bring it up. But Emma could tell something was bothering him he was so happy while he was with his friends she witnessed that first hand. The question is what could have changed his mood in just a few hours. Standing from the couch she walks closer sitting on the spot beside him he looks up as her under his long lashes. Giving him a small smile she whispered "What's wrong honey" despite not having such a great childhood herself with the constant pressure from her parents she was very good with children. That's part of the reason she thinks she would make a good history teacher in the future. She didn't want to push Alex to talk but she could tell he wanted to get something off his chest "It's just...Nat and Matt already have up their tree Matt told me they all put it up together while playing Christmas music" he says giving her a sad smile because continuing "I thought that was...pretty cool how they always at least have one parent at home. And I don't know, when I came back home I realized that my family isn't really that way. It's usually just me and Alex here alone but your here today and that's pretty nice" he laughs softly but she could feel the pain behind his words. Sure it was probably nice for him to see her today but she bets it would have been even better if his parents where here. And it would have been nice if they could have put up a simple tree with their son's but they couldn't seem to find time "I just wanna put the tree up I really want a tree this year" he said looking back at Blake who was looking at him slightly stunned. Sure Alex would talk to him and tell him things at times but not like this Alex hardly ever brought up how much it hurt to have his parents away most of the time. Blake rubs his shoulder before standing "Lets put up this damn thing" Alex laughs while standing Emma's eyes widen "Language Blake!" she glares but he didn't seem to care one bit. Alex smiles widely at his bother "For real!?" Blake nods before opening the top of the tree box. Emma smiles watching as Alex jumps up and down excited "Have you guys ever done this before by yourself?" she asks while looking through one of the boxes pulling out some lights. Blake shakes his head "Nope but how hard can it be" Alex puts the ornament back in the box before running halfway up the stairs. Emma calls out asking where's he going surly he wasn't running off now "I'm gonna go get my phone to play christmas music while we do it. It'll will be a whole vibe" she laughs watching the little boy disappear up the stairs. Turning to Blake she see's him struggling to pull the tree out the box grumbling under his breath. She walks over holding the sides of the box to slide the tree out "This is really sweet of you" she kisses him softly on the cheek which makes him smile "Aren't I always tho?" she rolls her eyes as he fully pulls out the tree "Sure Mr. Knock his teeth down his throat" she laughs hard at his smug face. Alex makes his was from upstairs already playing christmas music on his tablet "That was a jooookke Em I would never do that for real. Come on you gonna learn to take a joke for real..." she hits his shoulder lightly he definitely wasn't joking about that last night. Because in the words of Chris he was a simp for her even if he wouldn't admit it and would definitely punch Chan's lights out his dumb little head just for her.