|chapter nine|

I walk into the gym by myself once they called the seniors to attend the pep-rally. Our school calls all the classes by grade levels I guess to keep the traffic low in the halls. I walk up the bleacher stairs and decide to sit in the middle next to some students I've never seen before. When I say hi to them, they look at me like they are going to murder me.

"Well fuck you too," I say under my breath, but hoping that they heard me. All the other grade levels begin to enter the gym and before you know it, the entire room is packed.

The cheerleaders are the first to come into the gym and the audience starts screaming, besides me of course. I notice Nicki glance at me, but then she quickly looks away. I'm thinking my actions last night with the pictures has her not wanting to mess with me. So I would say mission accomplished. 

The cheerleaders are cheering the same shit they usually do so I take out my phone and scroll through Tumblr. The next thing I know, the lights in the gym are turned off and this makes everyone scream. God, people are so dramatic sometimes. A spotlight appears at the front doors of the gym. The cheerleaders have made a line with two groups on each side of the door.

I hear Principal Bell's voice on the speaker say, "Give it up for your 2017 Preston Academy Patriots!" Everyone stands up including me as the football players run into the gym. I notice Bryce is leading them and I hear the girl next to me say to her friends, "I told you he was the hot star quarterback."

I guess Bryce was so good at his old school that he became our new quarterback. However, our old quarterback could barely throw a fry during lunch, so I wasn't shocked that he couldn't throw a football.

The crowd eventually calms down after the player's entrance and everyone sits down. The lights eventually come back on in the gym. The girls sitting next to me are still going on about how hot Bryce is. A few of the football players break apart in front of the group and I assume these are the important players because Bryce is in front. Each cheerleader goes and stands by an important player.

If you hadn't already guessed, Sabrina was partnered with Bryce. I watch as she wraps her arm around his. No other cheerleader does that except for her. 

I feel my blood boiling at how perfect they look together. I hate to admit that they are your ideal pair, but looks can be deceiving. For instance, do I look like a girl who would be trying to destroy people's lives...no.

After all the introductions are made of the other players, Bryce is the last one to speak. He looks very calm and collected. He glances through the senior crowd and stops when his eyes meet mine. We look at each other for a minute before he winks and starts talking.

I miss the first part of his speech to listen to the girls next to me scream, "omg, he winked at you!" I just smile at the thought then turn my attention back to Bryce.

"I am so excited to be the quarterback for the amazing Preston Academy Patriots," he says glancing over the audience making sure to look at me with every pass. "My amazing teammates and new friends have made this new school transition much easier." He smiles at me and I return with a wink. He pauses and smiles before saying, "Thank you all and let's go kick some ass this season!"

Everyone gets up on their feet and start cheering, while I stayed seated. I decided to try and make my quick escape while everyone stood and I began to walk behind their legs. It was surprisingly easy because everyone was standing on the bleacher seats. Before I walked down the aisle, I turned to make sure Bryce was preoccupied. He was in the middle of his teammates and they were chanting something.

The next thing I know everyone is running down the bleachers and surrounding the football players. I get caught up in the crowd and end up on the bottom stairs on the ground. I try to stand up when I realize I can't put any weight on my ankle. I eventually pull myself up and sit on the lower bleacher seat.

I say to myself, "Cahlia you were supposed to sneak out, not get trampled on." As I sit there I notice the swelling in my ankle is increasing. And the best part is the crowd still cheering in the middle of the gym. 

The principal eventually tells everyone to go back to class because the separation system is a waste at this point. I try to get up but the pain in my ankle causes me to sit back down immediately.

As the crowd slowly dispersed, I can see Bryce looking for something. I know it's me so I quickly put my head down hoping he doesn't recognize me. I would try to lay down in-between the bleachers, but I'm not sure how I would get out. Damn, please don't let him see me.

I open my eyes looking down and see a pair of black vans in front of my checkerboard ones. I already know who it is without looking up so I decided not to.

"Umm, why were you trying to sneak out earlier?" Bryce asks and I slowly begin to raise my head. He is smiling down at me and I look behind him to see a pissed off Sabrina. "Just to beat the crowd," I respond trying not to think about the pain in my left leg. "So, why are you still here?" He asks arching his eyebrow.

He does this to catch my bullshit. Even though I'm in too much pain for this game, I am enjoying pissing Sabrina off just by talking to him.

"I'm just enjoying the quiet, that's all," I say waving at Sabrina. She just huffs and walks away. "Your girlfriend does not like me, does she?" He turns around and watches her leave before saying, "well she's not a fan of yours." I laugh and say, "the feelings mutual." "Well come on, we will be late for biology," he says smiling at me.

Ok Cahlia, think. You can say, I'm skipping bio or something. Anything really.

"I'm actually going to skip bio today." "Not Cahlia, the girl who believes you should be given a prize for perfect attendance," he says in a sarcastic tone causing me to laugh. "Ok, fine, I can't walk." Bryce gives me this puzzled look waiting for me to explain more. I let out a deep sigh, "I was trampled by the crowd coming down from the bleachers and someone stepped on my ankle."

He instantly drops to his knees and looks at my ankle. I wince in pain as he touches my left ankle and he touches it more delicately. He looks up at me and says, "I think it's a pretty bad sprain, but we need to go to the nurse to be sure." "We?" I ask looking at him and he rises from the floor. "How else are you going to get their Lia?" "I can walk, just give me a minute," I say picking up my bookbag and standing up.

I'm not on my legs for 2 minutes before I am swept up bridal style by Bryce. He also somehow took my bookbag from me. "Bryce, you don't have to carry me," I say blandly lying because I love the position I'm in. He just looks at me as we walk out the gym and towards the nurse's office. He eventually says, "I know you like it and I do too." "Like what?" I ask looking at him confused by his outburst.

He simply pauses before opening the nurse's office door and says, "us." 

🐘🐘🐘🐘🐘🐘

Hmm, is there an "us" because I'm pretty sure there is not since he is in a relationship. We will have to see what Cahlia does.   Please make sure to VOTE, FOLLOW, and COMMENT on this story if you liked it. Please, please share this book with your friends, I would greatly appreciate it.  ALSO WE PASSED 600 READS!!!!! I am so grateful and I will be uploading new part either on Sunday or Monday!! Sending my hugs and kisses too you all!!