|chapter twenty-five|

When the doors to the back close behind me, they make an extremely loud bang. As if on cue, everyone turns to look at me. When I glance into their eyes, I see sincere empathy. I hate people feeling sorry for me. I understand it's just a humane response, but these are the same looks I received at my dad's funeral.

Fuck this. I'm skipping.

Just as I'm about to walk out the same door; I stop when I hear my name. "Umm, Cahlia." I turn around and I'm immediately stunned. Nicki is standing behind me, but this time she is not in her cheer uniform. "I heard about Mike and the parking lot," she says fiddling with her backpack.

I remain completely silent because I have no words to say. The fact that she is talking to me without either of us saying something rude, is kind of nice. "Well, Mike is an ass and I'm sorry for what happened. I'm also sorry for the chants during lunch. I was feeling insecure about my home life and I shouldn't have taken it out on you." Wow, I was not expecting that. "Umm, thanks, Nicki and I apologize for the Cameron situation." "Nah Cahlia, that was my fault and I deserved it," she says giving me a slight smile.

"OMG Lia! Are you ok?" Nicki and I turn to see Nova running up to us with Reid and Coco. They all give me a hug and start throwing questions at me left and right. "Did he hurt you? Why didn't you tell us? What do you think group chats are for? Oh, how did Cayden react?" I softly cough and discretely shake my head toward Nicki's figure. This is when they turn and finally notice her.

"What the hell is she doing here?" Reid asks crossing his arms. "Oh, I was just telling Cahlia I'm sorry for the way I've been treating her. However, I also want to apologize to you two that I'm sorry for the chants and stuff." She is looking from Nova to Coco waiting for their response.

"Why aren't you wearing your uniform?" Coco asks the exact question I was wondering. Usually, cheerleaders wear their uniform the entire week for the games on Friday. "I quit the cheer team." We all say "what" in shock and Nicki just laughs at us. "It was getting exhausting and I couldn't handle Sabrina anymore." We all nod accepting her answer because it takes a lot of energy to be around Sabrina.

"Well, I accept your apology," Nova says smiling at her. Nicki smiles and then turns to look at Coco. "I accept, but we're on thin ice to start," Coco says with a slight smile. Nicki seems satisfied with her response because she gives us a small nod before waving goodbye.

We start walking down the hall towards the senior wing. I tell them what happened yesterday with Mike and how I signed a warrant for his arrest. "Damn Lia," Reid says wrapping an arm around my shoulder. "Tyler and Bryce also fought Mike last night." I then proceed to tell my friends what happened this morning in the parking lot with them.

"Maybe that's their way of helping Lia," Coco says and they all say "yeah". "Or, they could have just pissed him off more," I say stopping in front of Mr. Parker's class. "I understand that, but that clearly shows they care enough about you to get up in the middle of the night, and go fight the guy who hurt you." Nova's comment makes me think. "Hmm, maybe your right. I'll talk to them later, but right now we better get to class." We all hug each other quickly before waving goodbye.

"Hey Mr. P," I say walking into the classroom. "Hey, Cahlia. I actually need to talk to you." Oh, please don't let me be in trouble or anything. I walk up to his desk noticing that there are barely any students in the classroom. "Mr. Bell wants you to complete all your work today in the office." Mr. Parker holds out a stack of papers and I hesitantly take them.

"Why?" I might have just asked the dumbest question possible. I can tell by Mr. Parker's face that he knows that I know why. "Oh, ok," I say looking at Mr. Parker before walking back into the hall.