|chapter eighty-six|

A month later

🌼Me 🌼: I haven't heard from you in a while. How did the tours go?

👅Bryce 👅: They were fine.

This has been the tone of our conversations since I asked Bryce about Brynn. Quick and to the point. Zero emojis or pet names. The distance he put between us is slightly irritating. I understand if he doesn't want to talk about what happened, but he can't push me away.

I roll my eyes and close my text messages.

"Ugh, I hate guys!"

Reid and Alex turn to me in there lounging chair. "You need to have an open conversation with Bryce. That's all," Alex says. He always gives me the best advice. Reid and Alex have been going strong since they met. They are basically a match made in heaven.

"My man's right. Don't let him push you out." I get up from my chair and practically fall into the pool. I swim all the way down to the bottom where I'm surrounded by silence.

There, I think about the different colleges I've applied to. While I wait on UCLA's letter, I'm now waiting for Yale, University of Georgia, and Ohio State. I become overwhelmed and swim back to the surface.

I get out of the water and walk back to my pool chair. When I check the time on my phone, it's 4:30 pm. This Friday is going by so quick. I'm going to the Championship Game tonight with my family. They are supposed to come and pick me up at 6 pm to get a good seat for the 7 o'clock game.

"Guys, I'll see you at the game." I throw on my swimsuit cover and wrap a towel around my hair.

When I get in my car, I realize that my family's introduction to Bryce might be awkward tonight.

❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂

"Cahlia, put this damn jacket on."

I push Cayden away as we walk up the bleachers. "Stop Cay," my grandma says, hitting Cayden on the back of his head. I start laughing along with Jordynn. When we reach my friends, I introduce everyone.

"What's your brother complaining about?" Coco asks when I sit down next to her. "My shoulders." I'm wearing a stripped spaghetti strap blouse, blue jean shorts, and brown sandaled heels. They glance at Cayden and start laughing.

 They glance at Cayden and start laughing

"Look at all the people here," Nova says.

I turn around and crowds of people are filling up the bleachers. The men in suits tell me that college scouts are trying to secure their rosters. The O'Connor's and I wave when we spot each other.

After a few announcements, the players make their way onto the field. "Look, there's Lia's boyfriend." Cayden points to the number 23 jersey on the field. They watch in awe as he runs towards our bench.