|chapter seventy-four|

My silver pointed pumps clack on the white tiled floors as I walk through my dad's building. I forgot how the white walls and multiple windows made everything so bright. I decided to dress business chic for my first day of work. 

My black skirt and ruffled top are meant to catch attention. 

It was clearly successful because all eyes watch me as I walk down the hall to the elevator

It was clearly successful because all eyes watch me as I walk down the hall to the elevator. I'm walking at a slightly fast pace due to some unexpected distractions this morning.

Tyler and I have been texting back and forth since I woke up. I have no idea how a person yells in a text message, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

😡Tyler 😡: Lia, I'm coming by this morning. We need to talk.

🌼 Me 🌼: We already talked. Why do you still have my number? Delete it.

😡Tyler 😡: We both just yelled at each other. That's not talking. Also, I'm not deleting your number, so stop asking. We can either do it this morning or afternoon. Your choice.

🌼 Me 🌼: I'm not making a damn choice because it's irrelevant. I have to get ready for work.

😡Tyler 😡: Fine, I'll come by this afternoon. Have a great day at work, beautiful.

Beautiful? I know Tyler was trying to be funny and sweet. I will admit that it made me laugh for a moment. However, that was quickly replaced by the hatred towards Rebecca that consumed my heart. She is the reason why we fought in the first place. I don't understand how choosing between your girlfriend and ex-girlfriend can be so difficult. Relationships are about sacrifices, and Tyler seems as if he doesn't want to make any.

I can't let these thoughts consume my mind. I need to focus on my work. I don't want anyone to think that just because the boss is my family, that I can't be taken seriously. I'm going to make this the best day ever.

I walk up to the reception's desk near my uncle's office. When I see a woman with bright blue hair, my face lights up. "Ms. Jane!" She raises her head from her computer screen and jumps up. "Cahlia! Oh, my goodness!" She walks around the desk and hugs me. Ms. Jane smells the exact same from years ago. I can only describe it as fresh strawberries and peaches. My dad absolutely loved this woman. She is one the most caring people I know. "How have you been, sweetie? You have gotten so big. I remember you as a little girl and now you're a grown woman," she says placing her hand on my cheek. "I have been good. It's so great to see you," I say holding her hand. I tell Ms. Jane about my eighteenth birthday and my apartment. I almost forget that I'm supposed to be working until Uncle Jace comes to get me.

"We will catch up some more at lunch. Also, I'm here if you need anything, Lia." We hug once more before I follow my uncle to his office. Painful memories come back when I walk into my dad's old office. It's still in the same condition my dad left it. Cayden and I used to run around this office and role-play as CEOs. I can still hear our little feet tapping the ground. "You look really nice today, Lia. Was it hard to get up?" I snap out of my memory and sit in one of the office chairs. "Thanks, and it wasn't too bad." I take out my purple portfolio and a pen.