|chapter forty-two|

I've been staying at Tyler's house over the past few days. We would leave early enough before school to pick up clothes from my house. He always walks into the house with me, so my mom has been acting very well. However, with today being Friday night, something about the house is different.

"Where are all your cars?" Reid asks as we step out of his car. Tyler had a football game tonight, so he couldn't take me by the house. The missing cars do catch my attention, but I'm more focused making it to Tyler's game. "I don't know, but let me hurry up and change, then we can go." I swiftly unlock my front door and the house is completely dark. When I flick on the light switch, I am stunned by what I see.

"Why the fuck is our furniture gone!" The house is empty. All the sofas are gone in the living room, including the TV. The only thing left in the kitchen is the counter. The stove, fridge, and dishwasher are gone. 

"That bitch," I say hitting the kitchen counter. "Lia, that bitch is crazy. All the cabinets are empty in the bathroom." Reid walks into the kitchen and slaps his hand over his mouth. "Holy shit...," he quietly sighs. 

I feel my anger reaching a level it has never been before. I run past Reid and go straight to my room. My bed is gone, and all of my things are packed in boxes. I see an envelope on the floor in the center of the room. I frustratingly open it up.

Dear Cahlia,

Ryan and I decided we don't want to live in this house. One reasoning being you and the other being your now dead moronic father. We both decided this place was a dump, but of course, we weren't going to allow you to live in it. However, I told the movers to pack up your shit, so be grateful I didn't throw it away. I'm done supporting you and I don't care where you live. Good luck finding a place that will take in a needy seventeen-year-old.

Peace,

Michelle Robinson

I crumble up the letter and drop to my knees looking at my surroundings. It's just boxes on top of boxes. That bitch sold my family home. She sold it and doesn't care where the hell I live. I'm tired of her making me feel worthless and dependent on her. I take out my phone and dial the one person who needs to know.

"Hey, Lia. How are you?" Cayden asks but I'm not in the mood to be nice. "She sold our fucking house. That bitch sold everything." I feel no need to cry. Instead, I want to hit something. "What? Who Lia?" "Mom Cayden. Fucking mom." I stand up looking for something to hit.

"What Lia. Mom wouldn't do that. It had to have been someone else." I gasp at Cayden defending her. "Who the fuck else would do this Cayden. Damn, you can't be that dumb." "Lia, calm the hell down. It wasn't her." I knew he would defend her till the end. Well fuck it, let's see if he believes this.

"Yes, it was Cayden. It was her that started hitting me after dad died. It was her that gave me a black eye. It was fucking mom that pushed me down the stairs. You don't see this shit because she puts on an act in front of you and you're too blind to catch the bullshit. Maybe you should start recognizing mom as the evil bitch she is!" I yell into the phone.

"Cahlia, don't fucking talk about her like that. She has done nothing but support us since dad died. Do you think a naïve girl like you could survive without me or her? You should be grateful just like I am!" Cayden yells back. 

"Oh, I'm naïve. I've been getting abused under your damn nose for years. Open your fucking eyes Cayden. You praise her as if she has done nothing but good. Yeah, cheating on dad with multiple men was good. I guess when she treated him like shit, that was good too, huh?"

"Well at least she didn't cause the accident that killed him!" I am stunned by what he just said. I knew he blamed me, he just kept pretending like he didn't. "Lia, I didn't mean—." "Fuck you Cayden," I say and hang up the phone.