|chapter fifty-five|

Last Summer

I need to get her out of my mind. She is going through a difficult time and she doesn't have time for me. If I tell her my feelings, I know she will say she doesn't feel the same way. That's why I'm here at this party. I've had a few drinks trying to get Cahlia off my mind. None of the drinks are working because her beautiful face is still playing in my head. I take out my phone to text her, but red nails pull it down.

"Hey, Tyler." I immediately know who's voice this belongs to. "Hey Sabrina," I say, putting my phone back in my pocket. Her hands are all over me and it makes me feel slightly uncomfortable. "You look worried about something." I don't really feel like talking to her, but this conversation is taking my mind off of Cahlia. "Nah, it's nothing. Just enjoying the party," I say chugging the rest of my drink.

"Same, we could enjoy the party together." She rubs her hand down my shoulder. I have a sense that this is wrong, but maybe this will clear my mind a little. "Umm, sounds cool," I say placing my cup on the kitchen counter. She takes my hand and guides me up the stairs. When we enter an empty bedroom, she closes the door and locks it behind her.

We quickly start making out and taking our clothes off. It soon moves to the bed and before you know it we are having sex.

I thought this would take my mind off Cahlia, but it does the complete opposite.

❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂

"Lia, just let me explain," Tyler says when I stand up from the floor. "Honestly Tyler, just leave me alone." He is about to say something else, but his mom walks into the living room. "Dinner is ready sweeties." I'm the first one to leave the room and my friends are behind me.

"Why didn't they both lie," Reid says with a loud sigh. "I have no damn idea. Now I have to try to get through this dinner keeping my calm with Tyler." I know my cheeks are red from how angry I am.

When we walk into the dining room and there are place cards for everyone. My anger towards Tyler raises when I see his name next to mine. I run my hand through my hair before taking my seat. Tyler tries to hold out my seat, but I smoothly push him away. Once I sit down, we say grace and begin eating. Then the doorbell rings.

"Oh, this must be our last guests. Excuse me for a moment," Mr. Williams says. I smile at Mr. Williams and Tyler places his hand on my thigh. He leans over to whisper in my ear. "Cahlia, I can explain what happened." I turn to him and ask the one question I already know the answer to.

"Was she your number three?" He gives me a confused look and it pisses me off more. "Was she the last person you slept with?" He peers into my eyes and I know he can see the hurt in them. "Yes, but it meant absolutely nothing," he says placing his hand on mine. I make a huffing sound before moving my hand from under his.

"Oh, no problem. I'm just happy you could make it." I turn around to see Mr. Williams talking to another man and a girl. When he moves out the way, I almost drop my fork on the ground. "Guys, please welcome Cahlia's brother Cayden and his girlfriend, Jordyn."

Before I can catch myself, the words come out of my mouth. "What the fuck?" I say getting up from the table. I immediately remember where I'm at from my friends' shocked faces. "I'm sorry. Can you excuse me for a second?" I leave the dining room and walk straight to the bathroom.

My breathing has elevated and I know a panic attack is about to happen. I lean my back against the bathroom counter and start my breathing techniques. I deeply breathe in and out, but it doesn't seem to be working. I hear a subtle knock on the door and I heavily say, "come in."