|chapter seventy-one|

"What text this morning?"

❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂

"You can go ahead, Bryce. We'll be down in a minute," I say, pushing Bryce's gift bag further back in the cabinet. Bryce gives me and Tyler both a nervous smile before walking out of the closet. I grab a simple black purse off the hook before walking to Tyler.

"He just sent me a birthday text this morning. It's not that big of a deal." I place both of my hands on Tyler's waist and pull him closer to my body. He lets out a deep sigh before wrapping his arms around me. "I trust you. I'm still trying to get used to you and Bryce." I squeeze onto his shirt tighter while he holds me. "Babe, I understand. Let's not worry about that tonight. Let's just have a good ass time." I gently lean my head back and look up at him. He smiles down at me before connecting our lips together.

Our simple kiss quickly turns into an intense make-out session. "Yo, Lia. This is cute and all, but the Uber is here," Reid says, bursting into the closet. I wipe the edge of Tyler's lips and we both smile at Reid. "Ok, let's go," I say grabbing Tyler's hand and following Reid out of the closet. The apartment is completely empty because my friends are already in the Uber. I quickly set the alarm in my apartment and lock my door as we leave.

Tyler and I are walking a little behind Reid. "Did he give you the necklace?" I didn't realize my free hand was playing with the necklace. "Yeah, just some simple necklace," I say, trying to downplay Bryce's gift. Tyler just nods his head as we step into the elevator. When we get to the first floor, I wave goodbye to Mr. Reynolds and walk out of the lobby.

I see a black SUV and assume it's the Uber. I also see Wesley's car with the boys inside. "Wes isn't drinking tonight. You go ahead and ride with your friends. I'll meet you at the club," Tyler says before placing a kiss on my cheek. I smile at him as I follow Reid to the car. The driver opens the door and I slide in.

"Finally," Nova says. "I'm sorry. Tyler and I had to talk about something." I reach behind me and buckle my seatbelt. "Was it about that Cartier around your neck?" Reid asks. I'm about to ask how he knows its Cartier, but I realize he studies designers. "Aww, it's cute. When did he give it to you?" Coco asks, looking at my necklace. "He didn't give it to me. Bryce did," I say in a low voice. "Lia, stop lying. A friend wouldn't give you a four-thousand-dollar necklace," Reid says while taking a selfie.

If I was driving, I would have stopped the car in the middle of the road. 

"Reid—it cost how fucking much?" My words come out in a stutter because my mind is trying to comprehend the cost of this jewelry around my neck. "4K, Lia. Bryce is insane for spending that," Reid says with a shocked expression on his face. "He is clearly still stuck on you, Cahlia. You need to give it back," Coco says, and Nova seconds her. "Wouldn't that be rude?" My question causes Reid to say, "hell no. It was rude of him to give you a gift like that. He put you in a tough position. Shit, I would have accepted it too, even though I shouldn't." I ponder over my friend's words as we pull-up outside the club. I slowly nod my head and let out a small sigh. "Your right, I'll give it back later. Right now, let's have a good time." I open my car door and quickly jump out.

My body absorbs some type of energy right when my feet hit the pavement. The booming sound coming from the club is loud and fast. Coco, Nova, and Reid all exit the car and join me on the sidewalk. "Pictures!" Nova screams as she takes out her phone. We all pose for a selfie. Every time Nova hits the capture button, we change out poses. "Perfect. I'll edit these before I get drunk." I'm about to say something but I stop when a pair of arms wrap around my waist. Tyler starts kissing the back of my neck. The sensation causes my body to lean further into his chest.