|chapter ten|

"So, I can go home early," I say looking at the brace on my ankle. When we got to the nurse's office, Bryce set me down on one of the beds. Since Preston Academy basically has all the rich student's, the nurse's office is more like a doctor's office.

"Yes ma'am, you can leave early," Nurse Joan says filling out a form for me to go home. I almost do a back flip because all I want to do is go to sleep. I take the form and Bryce helps me out of the bed. When we leave the office, he says, "I can just check out early and drive you home." "Bryce, I can drive home," I pause, "I drive with my right foot so I will be fine."

We eventually reach my car in the back parking lot and Bryce puts my things on the back seat. "Well, after school I'll come by and check on you," he says opening the driver side door and I get in. "It's up to you, but you don't have to." "I know, I want to," he says while closing the door. I start the car and Bryce watches as I pull out of the parking lot.

I pull into my driveway and just think about diving into my bed. I unlock my front door and walk into my house. I am frozen in place when I see my mother sitting on the living room couch looking at me. What the hell is she doing back here?

"Hello Cahlia, I saw the R8 was gone today," she says standing up walking towards me. "Yeah, I mean dad bought it for me," I respond making my way to the medicine cabinet. I take some pain medicine and filled a Ziploc bag with ice for my ankle. "Your dad is gone," she blatantly says. I can't help, but snapback at her. "Yeah because he found out about you cheating on him," I say smirking at her.

I try to walk past her and she grabs my arm. "You killed your father Cahlia," she says looking at me with a death glare. "You caused him to crash when you told him that." I snatch my arm out of her grip. "I wouldn't have had anything to tell him if you were faithful!" She always makes me feel like this. "Yeah, I was in the car with him, but you were the one who ruined this family," I say yelling at this point, "dad was a great man and you didn't appreciate him."

Out of nowhere, she lifts her hand and slaps me. I fall on the floor and land on my backpack. This isn't the first time she has hit me. She hides this side from my brother and she never hit me when my dad was alive. It only started after.

"You destroy everything you touch," she says looking down at me. "You, Cahlia, you killed your dad, not me." "You couldn't keep your damn mouth closed and that is why he died."

I get up on my feet and grab my stuff. "Well, why do you even still support me if you feel this way?" "Because, I don't want your brother to know how much I hate you," she responds. "Wow, you're a piece of work mother," I say while walking away from the kitchen rubbing where she just hit me. I stop and then turn around to look at her.

"Do you find enjoyment out of hitting me," I say pausing, "does it make you feel better about yourself." She rushes towards me and pushes me against the wall. My head slams into the wall and I drop to the floor again. "You need to keep your mouth closed cause it will get you in a lot of trouble," she says leaving me on the floor and walking upstairs.

My head starts throbbing and my face is wet with tears. I get up and instantly feel like I'm going to throw up. I run to the downstairs bathroom and lock the door behind me. I lift the toilet seat and just allow my body to empty out my guts. I can't even feel the pain in my ankle because so much adrenaline is running through my body. When I'm finally done throwing up, I flush the toilet and pull the lid down. I look through a few cabinets and find a toothbrush to brush my teeth with and wash my hands.

When I look at myself in the mirror, I don't see the same person from this morning. My mother's actions change me. I can see her handprint on my face and arm. I don't know why I put up with this abuse. I don't even know how many bruises I have hidden whenever she comes back home.