Chapter 14

Dedicated to Airien Melyn Jean Abenoja

Chapter 14: Princes and Priestesses

"How are you going to start finding her alone?" Kreios asked, eyeing all the things that I'd been shoving inside my bag.

He's leaning his elbow on the small table with his chin on his palm.

"I know that you're still filled with your emotions right now, Claret. But do you think working alone right now would be a good case?"

I didn't answer him. I continued packing my things without even entertaining the thought of having a companion on this journey. I didn't even have a plan to bring along Kreios with me.

He heaved a sigh, "I am sorry. I failed to protect you and Divina. I gave a promise, but. . ."

I looked sharply at him. "I am not blaming you."

"T-The thing you saw when you were stabbed. . . ? Did you really see Zen literally sell Divina?"

"Yes. He breathed those words like it was nothing! Why because I was the center of his world at that time and he really didn't care about our future? I can't understand how this vampire mate works!"

Hindi na nakapagsalita pa si Kreios. He curled his arms on the table and buried half of his face in it, where all I could see were his worried eyes. "I've been exposed to that kind of love as well, Claret."

"I might be raised differently as a human, but selling your own flesh for convenience is—" napailing na ako at halos hindi na maituloy ang iniisip ko. Marahas ko nang pinunasan ang luha ko at nagpatuloy sa paglalagay ng gamit.

"Mothers in the human world will do everything for their child, Kreios. Their child is their utmost priority, and if this kind of love does not exist in this world? I'll gladly prove to them that I'd be the first one."

Kreios chuckled a little. "You're always the first one, Claret."

I smirked. "Is that even a good one?"

"At least, you break that hideous pattern."

Tumigil ako at mariin tumititig sa kanya. "You're raised and exposed as a vampire since you were born, Kreios. If this thing happens to you, if you ever choose this path and risk your child's life, I will never forgive you."

He totally buried his face on the table. "How can I have a child? I am single, abandoned mate, at ipinagpalit sa long-hair."

Hindi ko na siya sinagot sa sinabi niyang iyon. I don't know what's going on between him and Harper. Lumapit na lang ako sa kanya at tipid na tinapik ang kanyang balikat bago ko siya iniwanan sa aking silid.

Nagpaalam na ako sa mga babaylan na tumulong sa akin, sa mga tagasunod na siyang nag-asikaso sa amin ni Divina, at maging sa ilang konseho ng Mudelior.

I never heard of any news about the Gazellian right after that meeting. And I know that they couldn't stay inside this empire with their responsibilities in Sartorias.

I dressed like a typical traveler of Mudelior— a traveler in the empire of sand, with a dress that covered every part of my skin, to avoid the heavy sunlight. I tied my hair up before I pulled my hood up above my head to hide my face. I hung the circular brown stringed bag on my right shoulder as I slowly walked away from the castle.

It was chilling cold when my daughter was taken, but today the wind felt thick and humid as if every step could melt me.

But when I was about to reach the gate of the castle, I heard Kreois' heavy footsteps. When I turned back, he wasn't covered as I was, still clothed in his usual black pairs, without a cloak.