Chapter 56

Chapter 56: Kezalli

Divina Esperanza Amor

I was happily swinging my legs as I sat around our long dining table. Grandfather Sul was silently eating his breakfast with bread and soup across the other side of the table, while Grandfather Javan was sitting at my right side, assisting me with different kinds of food.

I am so happy today that Grandfather Sul's eating with us right now, he's been very busy and when I always ask him about Kezalli— the other human girl who will cross the mirror, he always says that it is not the right time yet.

Dahil ayaw ko siyang magalit sa akin dahil lagi ko siyang tinatanong, hindi ko na lang siya tinanong ngayong umaga.

"Do you want me to put more milk?" Grandfather Javan asked me.

I smiled at him and nodded.

Since he was aware that I love chocolates, every morning he prepared crunchy small biscuits in my small bowl with a mixture of fresh milk.

When I first saw Grandfather Javan when Grandfather Sul brought me inside his castle made of mirrors, I already knew that he was familiar. Grandfather Javan told me that he used to take care of me when I was still a baby— and blind.

He told me that I looked like my mother before, but now that I've grown into a lively little girl, he could see my stubborn father. He also told me that he and Papa are good friends, but I doubt it, Papa doesn't want to acknowledge anyone as his friend because he's sutil.

Unlike Grandfather Sul, Grandfather Javan is friendly and warm just like Uncle Caleb and Uncle Dastan. He answers my questions and he's always willing to take me anywhere— except the mall because I hate that place.

When I told him how cruel human beings were with all the statues of cursed human children, adults, bears, and different animals displayed inside that huge place, all he did was nod at me. "Yes, humans are evil. They shouldn't display those cursed people. . ."

I always cried in front of them as I learned more about the cruelty of the human world.

Grandfather Sul left the dining room with the magical phone in his hand. Unlike Nemetio Spiran that we use letters and messenger birds for long-distance communication, or even spells on the water, in the human world they use phones— and they can talk through it.

"Why is he always busy?" I asked.

"He's always like that," Grandfather Javan said with a shrug.

I sighed and continued with my breakfast. "I want to have magical phones too. I will give it as a gift for King Dastan and King Tobias."

Grandfather Javan chuckled.

"And King Dastan will be like this!"

I pushed aside my bowl of biscuits and milk and imitate how King Dastan signed his papers, while tilting my head like there was a phone between my ears and shoulder. "Magandang umaga, Tobias, nais ko lang ibalita na nagawa ko nang tapusing basahin ang mga dokumento at ilang proyekto ng Sartorias at Deltora, marahil ay magiging matagumpay ito."

Grandfather Javan almost choked his food, he chugged a mouthful of water before he hit his chest and continued laughing.

"You are very silly, Divina!"

Ngumisi ako kay Grandfather Javan bago ko hinila ulit ang bowl ko at nagpatuloy sa pagkain.

"But I am serious! I will bring phones in Nemetio Spiran so Papa, Prince Rosh, Prince Seth, and Prince Blair can even communicate with each other."