Chapter 21

Chapter 21: Forgotten Village

That night Adolfo offered us to stay inside his humble home until we finally saved enough money to buy our swords. He even laughed at us when we told him our reason for working.

For us, there was no reason to hide from him our tragic situation, after all, we find no harm in the old man, but for him to take our story seriously, and all he did was shake his head and accepted our stories as if he didn't have a choice.

"At least, we didn't lie," Seth simply said.

Adolfo went inside his room and he lent his small living room for us. Rosh took the sofa while Seth, Blair, and I were on the floor. The old man also lent us sleeping covers as if vampires really need it, but we accepted it out of courtesy.

Rosh has been oddly silent after Adolfo shared his stories about his missing daughter. I know that Rosh has a thing with women and their tragedies. I've witnessed how he put a lot of effort to help me and my brothers as if he had that vow to save every woman in the empire.

I know that it wasn't just me who noticed the sudden silence of Rosh, but Seth and Blair who were elbowing each other.

"Isn't she pretty? Adolfo's daughter," Seth awkwardly said.

"Yes," Blair shortly replied.

Rosh was facing the ceiling but when he heard how those two tried to open up a conversation, he switched his position and faced the backrest of that old sofa.

"What is wrong with him?" Seth whispered.

I didn't reply and turned my back as well until I finally fell into a deep sleep.

The touch of the sunlight on my cheeks opened my eyes this morning, Adolfo pulled up his curtains and opened his window, and I heard the yawning Seth and Blair, the smell of the brewing coffee, and Rosh's complaints to those maids who opened up his room's curtain.

Seth and Blair got up and started folding our sleeping covers. "This isn't your room, Rosh," Seth sleepily said.

Blair kept on yawning while Adolfo's watching us with a smile on his face. I was still on the floor, trying to massage my forehead. As Rosh got up, his eyes went again on that painting, he stared on it, dazed as if he went in his own dreamland.

"Madali kayo at baka magalit pa sa atin si amo."

Nang makaupo na kaming muli sa aming upuan na hindi abot ng aming mga paa sa sandaling umupo kami, napatitig na lang kami sa tinapay at kape na nasa lamesa.

"We're vampires. We can't forever drink and eat this," Rosh complained.

Seth had his usual widened eyes, but Rosh ignored him. "This isn't your house, Rosh," sita rin sa kanya ni Blair.

"He is a vampire as well. How can you live with human foods everyday?"

Kahit tama ang lahat ng sinasabi ni Rosh, pinilit pa rin naming kumain nina Seth, Blair ng mga inihanda ni Adolfo.

Samantalang nanatiling nakakrus ang mga braso ni Rosh na tila naroon pa rin siya sa kanyang sariling palasyo. "Do we still have time?"

"May kalahating oras pa bago tayo magtungo sa pamilihan," sagot ni Adolfo.

Tumalon na mula sa kanyang upuan si Rosh at lumabas na siya ng tahanan ni Adolfo. That's the difference between us, Rosh has always been bold and confident in his words, actions, and opinions. While I choose to go with the flow, stay with the current, and have my way on my own. In my perspective, I don't need to influence the thoughts of others, I always want to keep it to myself, bahala na sila. But this idiot, he's the exact opposite of me, he always wants to make a difference and make people realize his point— as if he's really born to influence.