Chapter 35

AN/ You have to at least read Glistening Lantern to enjoy this chapter, and to have that, "Ah, that's why. . ."  thoughts lol 

Chapter 35: Embargo

When I had a nighttime conversation with Mama with all of my curious questions, I happened to ask her about the scary dungeon below the castle. I had a bad experience when I first saw the dungeon, Papa was tied with chains, his body looked so weak, and he couldn't even look at me in the eyes.

The dungeon under the castle kept so many dark memories, why King Dastan isn't destroying it yet?

"Isn't King Dastan powerful? He can destroy that dungeon and kill all those embargos. Aren't they scary and dangerous if they accidentally left the castle? Papa, my uncles and aunts, the palace guards and enchantresses can protect themselves, but how about those who are living outside the palace?"

Mama and Papa who were lying beside me, got up from the bed, and they looked at me, quite stunned.

Papa ruffled my hair. "Why are you thinking like that, Divina?"

"Because they are dangerous."

"Do you know, Divina, when I was first brought into this world, I landed in that dungeon, filled with hungry embargos, without any knowledge to fight? They almost killed me."

I gasped and covered my mouth. "S-see, Papa? The embargos almost killed Mama!"

"But I saved her."

"I saved you. You were dying remember?" Mama retorted.

Papa chuckled. "Divina, the embargos are already part of Parsua Sartorias. It is one of the empire's trademarks. It's been there after hundreds of generations, and besides, not all embargos are monsters."

"Not all monsters?"

Papa faintly smiled. "You are still young, Divina. But soon, you'll discover it on your own."

"Because monsters are not born, Zen. They are made." When my Mama said that, Papa didn't reply to her, and he didn't even look like he's agree with her.

***

Dusk continued with his trail, the illuminating light from Uncle Caleb's old lantern guided us in our every step.

"Hold your hand on the wall. It's really slippery," Uncle Caleb repeated.

I looked over my shoulder, Dawn's already guiding herself with two hands pressed on the wall, while I use my left hand, and Dusk was still confident with his every step.

"Do you want me to hold your basket, Divina?"

Tumigil si Dusk at inilahad niya sa akin ang kamay niya. "Thank you." I gave him the basket, now with blood stains from the monster.

"Are you sure that you still want to give Grandmother Queen these flowers?"

"It's okay, Dusk. She will accept it," Uncle Caleb answered.

When Dusk reached the last step of the long mudded and mossy stairs, I could see the dark liquid in front of him— the pool of blood.

There were bubbles as if something was breathing underneath it.

"We either dip our feet or. . ."

Ibababa na ni Dusk ang paa niya sa ilog ng dugo nang may unti-unting nabuong daan na isa-isang umultaw mula sa ilalim.

Uncle Caleb's created numbers of circled flattened rock that turned into a path. Agad nang tumalon sa unang bato si Dusk, hinawakan ko na ang suot kong dress at tumalon na rin ako.