Chapter 44

Chapter 44: Human World

After I heard Granny's story, I never left her alone. I even insisted that I'd sleep with her from now on, that's why Leo and I were always on her bed, and watching Granny with her books every night. Even if I am too sleepy, I always try my best to sleep at the same time with her.

"Sleep now, Divina. I'll sleep too," Granny said as she kissed my forehead. Leo cuddled his furry body and let me hug him tight.

Nasanay na ako na laging nakikita si Granny na nakaupo sa kama at may hawak na libro. The dim light from the lamp illuminated her frame like a glowing goddess— her form that she gave up to produce the mirrors.

When morning came and she was busy giving Leo and I our breakfast. I opened my book, but my eyes were still watching Granny.

"Divina, baliktad ang libro mo."

Lumapit sa akin si Granny at inaayos niya ang pagkakahawak ko sa book ko. "There, do you have anything to read on your book? I thought it's for coloring?" tanong sa akin ni Granny.

Leo's on my lap and he's looking up at me as if he could understand my situation. I quickly closed my book and placed it on the table.

My eyes narrowed when Leo turned around, I think he was making fun of me. Is he laughing at me?

"Are you trying to be like me, Divina? Do you want to read books?"

Umiling ako. "I am just hiding myself so Granny will not notice that I am always looking at you."

She laughed. "I don't mind if my little Divina will watch me."

"If I promised that I will give you more books, will you allow me to cross the human world?"

She sighed. "So, that's it again, Divina?"

"Mama told me that it is fine for me to cross the human world."

"But I can't be with you, Divina. Sino ang makakasama mo sa lugar na iyon? The human world is very different in this world. And once they saw you using your spell? They will hurt you."

"Isn't Grandfather Sullivan there? If he's protecting the other goddesses, he can also protect me."

"No, Divina. You will stay here."

"But I want to help Mama and Papa, Granny. And that is how I can help them."

"The priestesses from the mirror will have to arrive in the right time, Divina. Dapat ay nasa wastong gulang na sila bago sila tumawid sa mundong ito."

"Are they still young like me?"

Hindi nakasagot sa akin si Granny. "If I can't bring them yet, Granny. At least, I want to meet Grandfather Sullivan."

"For what? I already gave up this family, Divina. At sa sandaling masiguro ko na kaya ka nang protektahan ng mga magulang mo, ibabalik na kita sa kanila. Don't make me regret that have you in my home. You can insist everything that you want."

I bit my lower lip and started to cry. "Because I just want to make you happy. . . why do I have this feeling that you created those mirrors to punish yourself for not helping Goddess Eda?"

"Because I deserved it, Divina."

Umiling ako. "Grandfather King told me that being weak is not a sin, protecting yourself first is not a sin, and choosing your own battle is not a sin. You chose your way to fight, and it is not a weakness, Granny. The sin is claiming to yourself that you're weak again and again and living with it. But you're fighting, aren't you? I am here. This is your way to fight against Atlas."