Chapter 58

Chapter 58: Deal

Grandfather Javan brought the mirror while Grandfather Sul left a lot of money on the table. I held Kezalli's hand as she continued to shiver because of the coldness of the water.

She even snorted when no one from my grandfathers offered their suit for her.

Nang nasa loob kami ng car ni Grandfather Sul hindi na nagsalita pa si Kezalli at niyakap na lang niya ang kanyang sarili habang nakatanaw sa labas ng bintana. Her short hair was dripping with her wet clothes and her lips were shaking.

All I did was offer my blue handkerchief.

"Thank you, Divina."

She started wiping her face, arms, and even her short wavy hair. Unlike the other vampires, Kezalli has a tanned skin. Sabi ni Mama, maiksi rin ang buhok niya when she was still living in this world, and she had poor eyesight, but when Papa awakened her vampire blood she grew even prettier. But Kezalli's beautiful in her own way.

"Gago iyong bampirang iyon, gabi na binasa pa ako. Ang lamig lamig. . ." she kept on whispering.

"I was expecting that he'd forcefully claim you to their world. What happened?" tanong ni Grandfather Sul.

Isinandal na ni Kezalli ang ulo niya sa bintana ng kotse at tumitig siya kay lolo. "You saw it. He almost drowned me. Am I really welcome in that world? I haven't seen his face, but I saw a shadow from the other side of that mirror. I felt his anger. Baka pupunta lang ako sa mundong iyon para patayin niya? Kasalanan ko ba na itinakda siya sa babaeng walang pambayad ng tuition fee? Napakasama naman ng ugali niya."

I shook my head. Hinawakan ko ang kamay ni Kezalli. "King Tobias is not bad! He's been waiting for you. He doesn't want to hurt you."

"No. You've seen it, Divina. Kung hindi ko ginamit ang pana ko ay lulunurin niya ako, kaya ang ginawa niya na lang ay binasa niya ako nang malamig na tubig. Uubuhin na ako nito!"

"Maybe he's just upset that you sold the mirror," natatawang sabi ni Grandfather Javan.

"If I properly got a permanent job, I will pay him. Ibabalik ko sa kanya ang napagbilhan ko sa salamin na iyon."

Mas lalong lumakas ng pagtawa ni Grandfather Javan, napailingon na sa kanya si Grandfather Sul. "I am sorry. She's really funny."

"There's nothing funny with my life! Palibhasa mayayaman kayo."

"Come on, he doesn't care about the price of that mirror," sagot sa kanya ni Grandfather Sul.

"She might be aware of the other world, but I think she really still needs to learn more," dagdag ni Grandfather Javan.

"Of course, human girls will never understand that. They can easily break the mirror if they want it, or sell it. They don't know the importance of those mirrors, and how those princes in Nemetio Spiran value it more than anything else."

Napapikit ako nang iritadong ibinaba ni Kezalli ang kamay niyang may hawak ng panyo. Her balled fist like she was about to threw it to my grandfathers.

"I know the value of that mirror. It was expensive and it helped me survive during my last semester. Masisisi mo ba ako? If the other women from the mirror were born with silver spoon, I was different. My grandparents were poor, they tried to maintain a declining museum that does not earn money, I want to go to college, ang dami kong gustong gawin, sinubukan kong isalba ang museo, hirap and hirap ako— paano ko pa mabibigyan ng pansin ang salamin na iyon at ang mga salitang lagi nilang ipinaniniwala sa akin tungkol sa mundong bigla na lang akong kukunin?"

And then Kezalli suddenly cried. She irritatingly wiped the tears on her face.

"Hindi niya ba naisip na may buhay rin ako sa mundong ito at may mga bagay akong kailangang gawin? How about the other girls from the prophecy? Paano nila naiwan ang mundong ito? Wala ba silang pamilya? It's easy for him because he's just going to wait, but isn't it unfair for us? We're trying to build our life here, tapos bigla na lang kami kukunin. For what? To be their mates? Anakan at kagatin? Paano naman ang ilang taon naming pakikipaglaban sa mundong ito? Mababalewala dahil lang itinakda kami sa isang lalaki sa ibang mundo? He should have at least helped me while he was still waiting for me. Siya pa ang may ganang magalit sa akin."