Chapter 58 - Currently Thinking (6)

"We have had many battles, both large and small, with the mermaids over the years. We control the north and the mermaids control the south."

Paseton looked toward Cale. Cale, who was leaning on the couch, motioned to Paseton with his chin to continue with his story. On and Hong peeked at Cale's face before slowly moving away from Cale's knee and heading toward the corner of the room next to the Black Dragon.

"We are fighting to prevent the mermaids from creating a kingdom throughout the entire ocean. However, something changed six months ago."

Paseton's eyes started to fall.

"The mermaids started acting weird."

'Weird?'

Cale started to think about the novel's information regarding the mermaids.

"They crossed over the implicit border between our two tribes and started to provoke us."

This was something Cale knew about. The mermaids start to provoke the Whales so that they could take control of the ocean. Cale started to feel relieved after hearing information he already knew about. Paseton continued to speak.

"I was able to figure out the reason behind it."

'I'm sure it is because they want to create their kingdom.'

The Whale tribe in volumes 4 and 5 knew about the mermaid's plan, and that was why Choi Han was helping them fight against the mermaids.

"They are trying to take control of the sea route that connects the Eastern and Western continents."
"What?"

Cale sat up straight and looked toward Paseton before asking.

"Isn't the sea route something for the humans?"

There were a couple different sea routes that connect the Western and Eastern continents. The humans had found these routes, but they were far and dangerous, preventing an official route from becoming created.

According to the novel, there was an implicit agreement between the lifeforms living in the water and the lifeforms living above water. The sea lifeforms would not touch these sea routes and the land lifeforms would not meddle in the issues of the sea in exchange. That was why Choi Han was troubled on whether to involve himself in the battles between the Whales and the mermaids.
But the mermaids were going to break this agreement?

Witira started to speak.

"At first, we thought that the new king of the mermaids was leading the charge to create their kingdom, but the information Paseton brought back was different."

Sigh.

Cale let out a sigh and took a sip of his now lukewarm tea.

'I learned something I shouldn't have learned again.'

The problem was that it was an even bigger issue than all of the other information he had learned up until now. It was even bigger than the issue with the crown prince Alberu.

"And there was one more weird thing."
"Hold on."

Cale prevented Witira from continuing by interrupting her.

"Just tell me why the Forest of Darkness is involved."

Cale felt like he would become involved in something big if he heard anything else. He was starting to feel uncomfortable. Cale could see Witira slightly smiling.

Why did the smile of this beautiful Whale look so scary to Cale?

"Yes. This is regarding that!"

Witira brightly answered while Cale's expression turned darker.