Chapter 173 - Tricked? (1)

Cale and the group returned to the inn they had previously stayed at. He seemed to be out of it as soon as he sat down and leaned back on the chair.

– Human, that was very fun! I really am great and mighty!

On the other hand, the invisible Raon was extremely energetic. The Killer Whale Archie mumbled to himself in disbelief.

"...Those vicious bastards."

The vicious bastards that he was talking about were the Elves of the End Village.
Cale looked up at the ceiling and recalled the sight of the Elves giving them a teary farewell.

'You, you are leaving after staying such a short time? I am very sad.'
'It was as if we had seen the beautiful sun underneath this frozen lake for the first time in a long time. I will never forget about our blessed time together for the rest of my life.'

The Elves were crying as they said things like that to Raon.

'Do not worry! I will return again with Goldie gramps!'

The Elves had cheered after hearing Raon's excited remark.
Cale was tired after having to wade through the Elves and the Elementals to get out of the Lake of Despair. Cale then remembered the middle-aged Elf Chief who had continued to caress his hand.

'It isn't like we are strangers.'

'How did I end up becoming a collective, 'we,' with the Elves?'
Cale did not know how it had happened, but decided that it wasn't a bad thing and pushed it aside in his mind.

Clack!

A wine glass was placed in front of him.

"What is this for?"

This was the inn Cale had stayed in before they went into the Lake of Despair. Cale asked the meaning of this wine glass as he looked toward the owner of the inn.
The old woman looked over Cale's group before mumbling to herself.

"...Looks like you returned alive."

Cale had said the following to the old woman who had lost her daughter and son-in-law to the Lake of Despair.

'I will return alive and drink all of your alcohol.'

The corners of the woman's eyes were shaking. Cale jokingly asked.

"It's free, right?"
"Bad boy! You look rich!"

The old woman smiled before peeking at the side of Cale's head and casually adding on.

"...Well, it looks like you are warm and don't need to drink in order to warm up. Just one glass should be enough."

'Warm?'
Both Cale and Raon flinched.

-Human! This human grandma is weird!
However, the old woman walked back to the chair by the fireplace before Cale could say anything. The old woman's grandson, Sully, walked up as Cale continued to watch her.

"...Grandmother asked me to give you some snacks as well."

He slowly moved the dishes onto the table. However, his expression seemed to be complicated.

He was very curious about the Lake of Despair and how they had managed to return alive as he had lost his parents to the lake.
He was also curious about who they were and was also happy that they had returned alive.
But, most importantly, there was something that kept catching his attention.

"...Excuse me."

He could not help but ask.
Unlike Cale, whose hair was brown thanks to magic, this boy actually had brown hair and freckles, making him look innocent.
Sully, who had never left this small village by the Lake of Despair, rubbed his eyes as he started to speak.