Chapter 8

Notes:

Additional Cast:

 Jessica Parker Kennedy as Sam Harris  

 Wallace Shawn as Mr. Theodors    

Vanessa's POV

Everything is working out surprisingly good during my first week as a freshman. I'm so satisfied with my classes, my professors are excellent and I have the best roommate I could ask for. Alice is the embodiment of optimism and full of light. We clicked the moment I entered the doorstep of our room and she managed to make me forget about the misery of that day. I already feel close to her and I think we can become really good friends. To be sincere, I have a feeling we already are. I close the door quietly, hoping I won't wake her up. Through the few day we're living together, I've noticed she loves sleeping, so I don't want to take her away from her dreams. I assume that it may turn out to be dangerous. Besides, she doesn't have any classes until noon, while me on the other hand, I have my last class for the week in less than an hour, still I decided to go for a little walk in campus. It is such a wonderful day.

At first, I stop by the coffee shop to supply myself with the essential drink every student seems to be addicted to. Honestly, that's not my case but it looks like a nice add to my daily routine. I ask for extra sugar and caramel in my coffee so it can taste as less as coffee as possible. Now that I'm thinking about it, it doesn't sound that logical but whatever. My class is taking place at the west side of the campus so I head to that direction. Through my way over there, I see lots of people laying on the grass and enjoying the sun. If only that was the way to pass your exams too. There are also lots of stands by clubs and people sharing leaflets. Paying so much attention to scheduling my classes, I haven't had time to see if there's any club of my interests, then again, applying for the college newspaper amplifies not so much time for other activities. A blonde girl approaches me. She wears a blue t-shirt that matches her eyes and hands me a leaflet.

"Good morning!" She greets me with a warm smile. " I'm Robin, can I borrow a minute of your time?"

"Good morning, I'm Vanessa. Please do." I say returning the smile.

"Aah, finally someone with manners." She sounds relieved. "So as you see on the leaflet we're organizing a huge gathering this month and it's too important, so we want to drain people's attention. We are gonna have many well known activists speaking about lgbt rights, women rights & of course gender equality." She talks with passion and I can see the fire in her eyes. "So any chance you can make it?"

"That's really great, count me in. Actually, I just joined the college's newspaper. May I ask if they have it covered? If you want to, I can inform them about it."

"Really? That would be awesome!" She claps her hands and her smile is even bigger now. "Thanks Vanessa! Hey Sam, I got a true supporter over here! Newspaper coverage? Checked!"

A curly brown-haired girl rushes towards us. She places her hand behind Robin's back and looks quite enthusiastic too. I assume by the way they are looking at each other that they must be really close.

"You're a true diamond, Summers! Newspaper coverage I heard? It was about time they give us some attention. Good to see people with open minds in their office."

"It's nothing really." I say and check the time on my phone. " Now, I'm really sorry but I have to go to class. Nice meeting you Robin! And you Sam!"

"You're free from us girl! Nice meeting you too! Have a nice day!" Robin greets me.

In about 3 minutes, I am in the classroom. I choose a seat at the front and I wait for the professor to arrive.

Nathan's POV

I've been practicing non-stop these days to catch up with the team due to my fucking cold. I'm gonna start practice earlier than the team today as well. But first I'm gonna stop by the campus. According to my schedule, I have class right now. Truth is I didn't really spend any time at all planning it. Bill from the frat house did it for me like he did for the entire frat house. Seems like it's his task. When I enter the class, the professor is nowhere to be found yet. I sit on the back next to the window and get mentally prepared to listen to a God knows what. I have no idea what this class is about. Thinking at it logically, it should be something related to gymnastics or marketing, considering my major and minor. It doesn't matter. All I need is to manage to find a nerd to give me notes and do my paperwork for the semester. Piece of cake.

An old short man with no hair and Harry Potter like glasses enters the room. He apologizes for his delay, for which he blames his bicycle's tire. I try not to laugh. "Welcome to International History I!" He says touching his mustache. What the fuck.

Vanessa's POV

Mr Theodors is so good. His talking travels me to each time period as he introduces the program of his lectures. I wonder why there is only around 20 students in the classroom. It might not be a mandatory class but still it is a shame. He so deserves more audience. He's starting to ask a few questions. I raise my hand and answer the first one. He seems satisfied that I know who the father of history is. I mean shouldn't everyone who chose his class know it is Herodotus? I turn around to see what the red-haired boy has to say on the oldest written language evidence as I spot him. No, it can't be. I blink my eyes and focus my sight on him. He raises an eyebrow and a smirk takes over his face. Yes, it's definitely him. I quickly turn my back on him. How is it possible for him to be here of all places? To take this class of all classes? There is something about him that makes me lose my mind. I mean, seeing the guy who made my first day in college a hell , laughed at my face, called me insane, splattered me and didn't even apologize, can cause that.

It feels like a hundred years when Mr Theodors tells us that the class will be over after each of us is teamed up with a partner for the semester. He's already written our names and put them in a bowl made of glass on his desk. He says he prefers luck to be the one who puts us together as he is terrible at matching.

"The young lady at the front." He smiles at me and I stand up. I take a paper from the bottom and read it out loud.

"Nathan Parker?" I search for my partner and I see the one person I hoped not to be the one raising his hand. Someone wake me up already. This should be a dream. Or a nightmare really. Everybody walks out but he stays at the door staring at me. If he thinks I'm going to be intimidated by him, he's dead wrong. I take a big breath and approach him.

"So you", he says before I even open my mouth. "Listen, I don't think any of us wanted this. It actually is what we both unwished for." He's looking down at me to check if I'm thinking the same. I nod. His words make sense, I didn't expect it. Good, we are going to have a civilized cooperation I believe.

"I got into this damn class by accident and I can say that it means a lot to you. So I'm not gonna stand in your way." I am surprised. He understood my interest in history and won't make my life difficult. Maybe I was a little prejudiced on him after all.

"Thank you." I say truly meaning it.

"Which means I'm not gonna have any part in it at all." His smirk is back on. "You are gonna do the damn paperwork and supply me with notes to pass the exams at the end of the semester. You won't see me, I won't see you. It's a win-win situation."

"What are you talking about? Who do you think you are?" Here I am yelling at him once again. He certainly has an idea of himself. "I'm not gonna do your part for any paperwork! Wanna know what partnership means? Sharing the paperworks! It's gonna be a 50-50! Don't try to get away from it."

"You owe me. Helping your little ass the other day almost gave me a proper pneumonia. I'm not gonna lose my time on you, Miss know it all. That's it." He leaves the classroom and I run after him.

"A, I don't owe you a thing. B, in the way I see it, I got no help from you. C, my name is Vanessa and D, I..."

"Have a good day Vanessa." he says and disappears at the stairs.

I guess he is destined to trouble my life.  

A/N: Thanks for reading, any feedback is welcome. :)