Chapter 50

Notes:

Additional Cast:

Grey Damon as Ashton Sanders

Vanessa's POV

"So, to sum it up, I don't want anybody to freak out, especially the newbies," Ashton looks at my spot and raises an eyebrow. "Every time the exam period is on its way our task isn't easy but everybody has already done an incredible job for this month's issue and I am sure we can handle next month's issue as well. We have done it before. Fwi, nobody died." Everyone laughs and Ashton stands up. "Crew dismissed," he says and the meeting ends.

He is always so encouraging and supportive to every single member of the paper. During the meeting he listened carefully to each word everybody had to say and congratulated the staff for its ideas and creativity. Somehow he finds a way to make it all look simpler. There is a lot of pressure on getting the paper right and on time when studying gets in the way. I totally panicked and I have a lot in my plate at the moment, but after Ashton's reassuring speech I have one less thing driving my head crazy. Even though there is still plenty in it, that is considered as a progress. Besides, I don't think I can find a solution for the rest of the mess that is happening in my life right now.

"I thought I managed to make you feel better." Ashton tells me and sits next to me on the sofa.

"You did." I give him a small smile.

"Then why are you still here when everybody has vanished about 10 minutes ago?" he whispers playfully. I take a look around and realize that his office is empty as he says.

"Oh, my... I didn't notice..." I feel pretty embarrassed about it. My brain hasn't been functioning properly during the last couple days.

"Are you okay?" Ashton looks at me concerned.

"Aha." I nod. Everybody is asking me this question lately. Do they really want an honest answer? Can I really give them an honest one? I doubt it. I can't even be honest to myself.

"Don't even bother to fool me. You're not and it screams from a hell of a distance." He caresses my back. "Is it about exams?"

I nod again. It is safer to let him make his own assumptions than actually try to explain what is wrong. Because nothing is wrong in general, yet at the same time I can feel my heart aching as every second passes.

"You're in college now so you've already made it. This is going to be your first exam experience so it makes sense that you're anxious about it, but you are so brilliant and talented and beautiful to let things like this tear you down, Vanessa. Did I make myself clear?" he points a finger at me.

"Yeah. I am just a little stressed out. Thank you, Ashton." I smile warmly at him and it comes so naturally after all these kind words of his.

"Come on." he stretches his hand at me. "Let me walk you out of office, princess. You need to go to get some rest."

"Alright." I huff as he takes my arm between his. This sounds like a good idea. I feel so tired and I haven't slept well lately.

"You already have done more reviews for the month than you were actually supposed to, plus you helped Andrea with her article too." I open my mouth but he speaks again. "And yes, she told me about it. As she told me you did that the previous month and the month before that."

"That wasn't anything really. I am glad that I could give her a hand." I shrug.

"Well, it is something to me. Actually, more than something. I don't want you to wear yourself out." His tone is serious. "And as much as I want to see you everyday, I don't want you to come over the paper for the next weeks. Take your time to study and relax. Everything is going to work out." His smile lightens his entire face and my heart a bit as well.